Refinements Question

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

invisa332009

Refinements Question

#1 Post by invisa332009 »

Hi

I am just starting tray 17 of 17 (top only) today. I am going to need refinements as some teeth haven't moved enough particularly 1 or 2 teeth.

My dentist said a few weeks back that I will need refinements but to wear the last 3 trays anyway. I will be getting new impressions in 2 weeks.

My questions are:

1- Do I have the choice of getting the attachments (7 in total including 1 on one of my front middle teeth) taken off while getting new impressions? I will be waiting 6 weeks for the new trays and would like to get my teeth whitened and would not be as self conscious if the attachments were gone.

2 - While I am waiting for the new trays will I just be wearing the last tray for the 6 weeks or does something else happen?

Just to say I very happy with the treatment so far and cant believe it worked so well although obviously I am disappointed I need to get refinements but I knew it was a possibility. My dentist said it will delay my treatment by 3 months but I think it will be nearer 6 by the time its all done.

For anyone who has gone through the refinement process I would appreciate an opinion.

Thanks

andrea26

#2 Post by andrea26 »

Hi,

My attachments were taken off for refinements. I am sure you can ask to have them removed as 6 weeks is a long time. However I only waited 2 weeks for my refinements.
In the meantime while you are waiting for your refinements you will have to wear your last set however, I only had to wear them at night while I waited.
Don't be dissapointed that you need refinements.Almost everyone needs them and they are just a few extra sets.
I had 7 sets of refinements. I have finished my treatment about a month ago and I am really happy. I have to wear a retainer at night but I am absolutely fine with that.
Good luck - time flies with invisalign!
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

margarita2

#3 Post by margarita2 »

Hi,

I recently finished my treatment but needed refinements as like yourself I had some gaps that just hadn't closed up. I had to wear my last trays for about 6 weeks in total, this was for the original 2 weeks that they were needed for and then I had to wait approx 4 weeks for the refinements to arrive. They do get grubby, but just keep them as clean as you can, and they will be fine.

During this time, I did not have my attachments removed. My refinements have now arrived and have been made including the attachments (I have 6 and I hate them - hopefully should be finished and getting them removed forever mid august).

I don't actually mind wearing the aligners, I actually find them more comfortable in than out, due to the attachements rubbing on my lips. However, it is annoying having to wait so long for the refinements, knowing that the current aligners are no longer doing anything, just holding the teeth in place.

It is worth it in the end though, and I have 3 sets of refinements and currently on tray 2. My teeth are really looking good now. I have to go back to my orthodontist in a couple of weeks to have the measurements done for the retainers that I will have to have fitted behind my teeth. I have been told to keep the retainers fitted for approx 5 years or my teeth may move again!.

Good Luck

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Refinement is not a failure of Invisalign but should be viewed as a stage of treatment that helps perfect final details. With traditional braces, it would be the "detailing phase", repositioning of brackets, and/or wire bending.

Attachments may or may not be removed as you go to refinement. Our patients generally have them removed, but keep in mind that your final aligner may still have the attachment "wells" in them. Those tend to look more obvious if you don't have any actual attachments in place.

The amount of time for getting your refinement trays will depend on your location, how quickly your doctor works up your case, as well as what appointments are available. Typically, getting refinement trays will be a couple of weeks earlier than the amount of time you had to wait to get treatment started after your impressions.

Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

invisa332009

Re: Refinements Question

#5 Post by invisa332009 »

Thanks very much for those who responded to my question.

Just back from the dentist now.

Thankfully, they took the attachments off before the new impressions were taken.

I will have the new trays in 6 weeks and treatment will be approximately 2 months.

My doctor told me to keep wearing my last tray for 22 hours a day, otherwise, my teeth will move. The tray feels a lot looser without the attachments.

I'm delighted with the progress so far, my teeth are nearly straight!

Thanks again for responding and best of luck to everyone going through Invisalign!

ChelseaRox

#6 Post by ChelseaRox »

I also had my attachments removed (9 of them) for refinement impressions, & waited about 5 weeks for my new trays. My ortho thought i would only need about 3 more trays but when I went last week I was told I have 7 sets of trays & he put 7 attachments back on my teeth. Oh well...could be worse I guess.