I'm a Newbie! - a couple questions...

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

frazrt01

I'm a Newbie! - a couple questions...

#1 Post by frazrt01 »

Hey I'm a newbie. This shall be an interesting year-long journey.

A couple questions:

People seem to recommend Steradent to keep trays clean. Where can I buy Steradent?

Another question... my doctor claims to take my trays out when I eat and drink.....(unless water). Have some of you broken this rule and kept your trays in while drinking alcohol? I have a decent social life so I'm very interested in this. I guess I'll have to adapt.

Also...my attachments. Will it ever become easy and FAST to get my trays out? It's pretty frustrating thus far.

kt2010

#2 Post by kt2010 »

Hi fellow newbie, I'm just into my second week of my first trays so just finding my way around this big change in lifestyle as well. I've been pretty good about keeping to the 22 hrs a day, seem to do 1/2 hr breakfast, 1/2 hr lunch and 1 hr dinner.. The time inbetween is a bit of a struggle but are getting used to not snacking. I tried eating a banana, disaster, it was quite foul so I think I am resigned to sticking to the advice and not eat anything with trays in. I did drink quick a few beers watching the football on the weekend with my trays in, thought I would give it a go. I thought it would be better to have the trays in for a few hrs and drink than not have them in at all. I soaked them in Retainer brite while I had my hr off for dinner and they came up sparkling. The only thing I'm not sure about is the sugars in alchohol mayby affecting your teeth if it trapped in the tray, but I guess if its only a couple three hrs at a time it may be OK. I'm getting lots of attachments next week so not looking forward to that. Its very easy getting trays in and out at moment. Any advice from others on eating/drinking would be appreciated.

frazrt01

#3 Post by frazrt01 »

Hey Kt...

I have 11 attachments, 5 on the top and 6 on the bottom.

I must say this morning it was MUCH easier to get them out. I think it's kind of a habitual thing. (similar to if you have contacts - it's really hard at the beginning, but you develop a technique and know exactly where to put your fingers) Nevertheless, I'm not sure if this process will become hard again once I go to my 2nd tray.

I must ask...where did you get this "Retainer Brite"? Is this something you can buy at a WalMart, Walgreens, etc.? I'd like to find some kind of cleaning device.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Retainer Brite is not available in store. You can get it online at http://www.dentakit.com
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

lt81

#5 Post by lt81 »

Hi Steradent is available by the toothpaste at the supermarket - its what people soak their false teeth in!

I have on occassion drank with mine it, but they smelt absolutely foul, so had to keep going to the loo to rinse them out and give my mouth a good swish with water! I try not to do it.

They do get easier to get in and out. There's definitely a knack to it and you also find as your teeth move a few days into each new set they get easier to take out. Having nails definitely helps!
17 upper and 17 lower on 6/8 upper and lower refinements

kt2010

#6 Post by kt2010 »

Hi, just had my attachments fitted, 5 lower, 4 upper, one on canine so quite obvious, but hopefully its only because I'm looking for it. It is quite white though and my teeth are not! Are going to wait till the end before whitening though - doesn't seem much point at the moment.
No one has even noticed the invisalign in 2 weeks ( or havn't commented if they have) so will see if the attachments make them obvious. Are quite relaxed about it though, if they notice the attachments now, better than noticing my wonky teeth forever.
2nd trays tight but not uncomfortable, managed to get them out at the Ortho Ok with attachments on but won't be the quick flick out like the first tray was. The attachments were fitted using the first tray, he didn't bother with starting me on tray 0 which I guess is good as saves 2 weeks of tray wearing.
Tray 2 of 24U / 22L

andrea26

#7 Post by andrea26 »

I did regularly drink alcohol with my trays in. I used to drink white wine with them tried beer aswell but must say the trays looked pretty horrible after having a few beers. It's fine as long as you keep rinsing them out.
It was impossible for me to eat anything with the trays in.
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

Buster

#8 Post by Buster »

frazrt01 wrote:Hey Kt...

I have 11 attachments, 5 on the top and 6 on the bottom.

I must say this morning it was MUCH easier to get them out. I think it's kind of a habitual thing. (similar to if you have contacts - it's really hard at the beginning, but you develop a technique and know exactly where to put your fingers) Nevertheless, I'm not sure if this process will become hard again once I go to my 2nd tray.

I must ask...where did you get this "Retainer Brite"? Is this something you can buy at a WalMart, Walgreens, etc.? I'd like to find some kind of cleaning device.
Steradent is the English version of Efferdent. Right now I'm using both Retainer Brite & the Target brand denture cleaner. Retainer Brite is more expensive, so I tend to alternate between the Retainer Brite and the denture cleaner. So far so good. I use a denture bath to soak them in (bought it at Walmart). I also use the Target brand of Listerine Whitening. I use the retainer brite/denture cleaner in the morning while I'm eating breakfast, then soak the retainers in water during dinner and brush them with a bit of the Listerine Whitening before popping them in so that they're minty fresh for overnight. I've learned to pretty much always keep them in water when not using them because they get a bit manky otherwise.

I've had white wine as well with my trays in, but to be honest, I felt a bit weird doing it. I generally only do it when I'm towards the end of my 2 weeks.

frazrt01

Thought I'd give you all a little update...

#9 Post by frazrt01 »

So i'm officially a month into my invisalign process. I must say...so far this has been a piece of cake. Sure, there's some sensitivity at the beginning of each tray, but it's really not THAT bad. I remember going to message boards before I started this process and being absolutely terrified b/c people said it hurt so bad. It really doesn't hurt at all. So, anybody reading this message board that may be basing their judgement on user experience: Don't pay attention to the overexaggerations. Sure, I'm sure there may be some setbacks, but what do you expect? You're moving bones in your mouth. Any sensitivity is just an awkward feeling. It's not like you want to pull your teeth out. Also...I have 11 attachments, and you develop a technique to take your trays out. It literally takes me about 2 seconds for each tray. (and I'm pretty sure 11 attachments is quite a bit)

sammywantstraightteeth

#10 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I have 13 attachments (started with 14 - 1 fell of on day 2, dentist says it can wait til next appointment). For the first couple of days I was scared each time I was due to take them out. It felt almost like claustraphobia when I struggled to remove them, and it took a few minutes each time. It still takes me 20-30 seconds to get each aligner out, especially the lower because I have 6 teeth in a row with attachments and it takes some persuasion.

I don't think I'll ever attempt to eat anything with these in. I've read some people's comments on that and decided it just isn't worth it!

I have drank a chocolate (soya) milk shake through a straw with them in though. Made it taste slightly odd - plasticlike - but was okay. Brushed my teeth within 15 minutes because I could imagine all the sugar working its way in there.

I did experience some pain in the first couple of days - but it didn't quite get bad enough to make me take pain killers. Some people will have more tolerance to pain than others - its just the way it is. Your body is busy removing bone from one place and adding new bone to another - no process involving changing bone structure is going to feel nice!!

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

pompompadom

#11 Post by pompompadom »

I drink all the time with them in. I soak the trays in retainer brite every now and again and they seem fine. I always give them a brush with toothpaste when I brush my teeth and all seems fine.

I usually drink wine with them in, and if i'm out I just give them a little rinse now and again.

stickytiff

Re: I'm a Newbie! - a couple questions...

#12 Post by stickytiff »

agree with a lot of what's been said here :)

I had 15 months of upper and lower invisalign and have finished now, so pleased witht he result. its worth every moment of hassle or doubt - keep going peeps!

after several months I devised a great routine for putting in new trays, which as you know can feel very tight and I found it quite tricky and unpleasant to put in. So I used to wait until after my evening meal, clean my teeth well then put the fresh trays in, so they could stay there until morning. I also used to take a painkiller as I went to bed, and one the next morning, to avoid that 'pushed and pulled' feeling in some teeth when you bite or chew. My other tip is to run warm (NOT HOT) water over the new trays, just to make them slightly more flexible, for the first time you put them in. I aslo found that once I'd had a shower in the mornings, my fingernails were too soft and bendy to get the tray out! So I'd take them out and clean teeth first thing, before my shower

just speaking from experience. its the stuff they don't tell you in the instruction leaflet. hope that helps someone xx :BigGrin:
Tiff xx

17 / 36 aligners, both top and bottom