Are refinements always needed?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

margarita2

Are refinements always needed?

#1 Post by margarita2 »

After reading posts on this site, it appears that most people go into refinements and this can nearly be as long as the treatment again. Is this normal? or is it possible to finish the trays as planned and be done!. I'm counting down the months and hope that I will be all finished later this year. The thought of continuing for twice as long is depressing!! (Having a bad invisalign day today)

lyra silvertongue

#2 Post by lyra silvertongue »

Hi

From what i've read on here & other forums most people do seem to need refinements. I've read of a few people not needing them though. For some people it can be as long as regular treatment but i definitely don't think this is the norm. When I went for refinements my ortho said the average is 5-6 new trays. I needed 4 more uppers and 5 more lowers, compared to 26U and 14L in my original treatment

Almost finished now! Getting a bonded retainer in two weeks time and then i'll be getting some work done on getting my bite settled. Can't wait!

Started Invisalign in October 2008 with 26U/14L
Started refinements Dec 2009 with 4U/5L

Bellalalala

#3 Post by Bellalalala »

I think there's also a posting bias on forums like this one.

People are less likely to come to a forum and post if everything is perfectly fine. People who do need refinements, like me, are likely to be frustrated and looking for a place to vent and find info.

Ask your doctor how frequently they have to do refinements.

My doctor said that it's definitely not the majority for him, and the dental students I've talked to have also said that it's not the norm for them either.

I was warned from the beginning though, that even thought my upper teeth needed very, very little adjustment, the one that did need to move the most was my canine, and it they can be extremely hard to move, especially to rotate.

Ask your doctor about your particular case and if there are specific movements that may be difficult to achieve within regular course of treatment.

Everyone's movement is different, but there are some things that usually tend to be more difficult.

Cheers