How to disinfect your Invisalign aligners

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TinySmiley

How to disinfect your Invisalign aligners

#1 Post by TinySmiley »

hi everyone,
i was wondering how everyone disinfects their aligners. I asked the dental hygenist and she always tells me to brush with a regular toothpaste before reinserting them. I have done that but they still smell and get very cloudy. So, I began to soak them in water (while I eat--I heard that was a safe and easy way to keep them clean) and then brush them and at least once a week soak them in Listerine for 30 sec., but still that doesn't seem to have worked. I've read on the net that some people use denture cleansers, but some say it can be harsh on the aligners. So, what do you all use?
Thanks.

lt81

#2 Post by lt81 »

I soak them once a day in steradent - I find it really gets rid of the ickiness.
17 upper and 17 lower on 6/8 upper and lower refinements

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Any of the retainer cleaners we sell at www.DentaKit.com will disinfect the aligners. Retainer Brite, Sonic Brite, DentaSoak, and Cleanse Freshen Go all kill 99.9% of the germs on your retainer or aligner.

Steradent is not sold in the US, but it is basically the same type of product as Retainer Brite.
Last edited by bbsadmin on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ebee

#4 Post by ebee »

I find if I soak my aligners in 1/2 and 1/2 water and vinegar it takes all the gunk off!

johnnyk

#5 Post by johnnyk »

steradent.. works great

DrJasonKTam

#6 Post by DrJasonKTam »

You may find that using toothpaste may increase the cloudiness of the aligners due to the abrasives in it. As such, if you're looking to mechanically clean the aligners with a brush, it's best to use water only.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

kcj

#7 Post by kcj »

I have had much better luck using just warm water and a toothbrush. I soak my aligners when I am eating, and probably once a day I add a splash of listerine to the water.

andrea26

#8 Post by andrea26 »

I soak them in steradent once a day and it works perfectly. it gets all the stains off and they look nice a clean afterwards.
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

kezzakattami

#9 Post by kezzakattami »

I'm a Steradent girl all the way lol. I used toothpaste to clean one of the sets of trays and they were the cloudiest and smelliest compared to all the others!!!

Im now in Essix retainers which are very similar to the Invisalign trays -I brush them with water each time i remove them, and soak them in Steradent each morning - Voila!!!
17U/14L

TinySmiley

#10 Post by TinySmiley »

thanks everyone for your helpful advice. :)

Zoso

#11 Post by Zoso »

I've never found a need to do anything but brush them. I always do it once a day, and usually twice. It gets rid of the coffee-ness which accrues way in the back.

And even if the braces look a little hazy, I sure don't see a difference in my teeth when I put them on. Whatever cloudiness they may have doesn't stand out against the teeth. So for me cleaning them is only for hygiene, getting rid of plaque and what not.

kcj

#12 Post by kcj »

I've also found that not allowing my aligners to dry out helps keep away the funk.

I try to keep them in a cup of water whenever possible if they are out for longer than it takes to brush and pop them back in.

Wireless

#13 Post by Wireless »

I've been using a SonicBrite cleaner and using a child's toothbrush to do any final cleaning. This has worked extremely well considering I have had to wear the same upper aligner 10 weeks so far. I was given the ok to only wear my upper aligner at night, but the attachments on my upper premolars cause sores when I keep the aligner out.

This has worked so well, I plan to use with my clear retainers when I get them (hopefully in two or three months.