Which teeth to do IPR?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ldbobby

Which teeth to do IPR?

#1 Post by ldbobby »

Hey everyone, first of all awesome forum, lots of good information that helped me to prepare for my Invisalign treatment. Thanks!

Now my question is about IPR. Apparently I needed 'x' amount of IPR on my upper and lower teeth for my 3rd aligner, and then another 'y' amount on my 4th aligner. I am currently on my 3rd aligner and had some IPR done before I got the sets 3U/L, 4U/L, and 5U/L to take home.

1. How does the Orthodontist determine which teeth to do the IPR on? I know it is labeled on my aligner zip lock package. But that is just a number for each upper and lower, not specifically which teeth. I had my IPR done last Friday and it seemed as if my Orthodontist just randomly picked ones to shave.

2. My next scheduled appointment is 5 weeks from now. Would my Orthodontist have also done the required 'y' amount before I had my 3rd aligner on? I'm curious because I don't have an appointment to go back for the required IPR for my 4th set of aligners.

I hope I'm making sense! =)

Note, that dremel thing they use to shave is scary! BUT, I felt nothing at all while it was being done, so no worries for others out there.

kezzakattami

#2 Post by kezzakattami »

Your Ortho will know how much and where to do the IPR by looking at your Invisalign treatment plan. It's certainly shouldnt be just random shaving!

I have had 6 weekly check-ups where my ortho does all the IPR required for the following 3 sets. It sounds like yours is the same, but it's always good to ask your ortho the question. :)
17U/14L

myhollywoodsmile

#3 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Also, sometimes they adapt the treatment plan. I was supposed to have no IPR but ended up having a small unscheduled bout. (My own fault, as I pointed out a tooth where I thought my teeth were a little tight together!)
Generally they follow the treatment plan but the orthodontist will adjust it as necessary. I'm sure they won't mind you asking though if you are unsure.

Wobblydeb

#4 Post by Wobblydeb »

The treatment plan specifies which teeth, exactly how much enamel the dentist should remove and when it should be done. It definitely isn't random :lol:

My dentist has occasionally done my IPR slightly early if two teeth have become very tightly pushed together, otherwise we've done it just before the new tray. When he has done it early, he then subtracts that amount from any later additional IPR. i.e. If it specified 0.3mm before tray 12 and he took away 0.1mm at tray 10, when we got to tray 12, he then did the additional 0.2mm....
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

For the most part the IPR is planned when the ClinCheck is made. It can also be performed as required. The little bag actually does designate which teeth are to be reduced.

Every case comes with a piece of paper included in the box with the aligners, showing the plan for the IPR required.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

ldbobby

#6 Post by ldbobby »

Thanks all for the anwers and putting my mind at ease!

Wobblydeb

#7 Post by Wobblydeb »

I thought I should add that my dentist gave me a copy of my IPR plan. I think that is a good idea, in case anyone suggests more IPR years in the future. I will know how much enamel was taken away in which places, so that I don't end up going through to the dentine! :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower