Will my wisdom teeth hold me back?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

Will my wisdom teeth hold me back?

#1 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi,

Something is bothering me (I am a worrier, bad worrier! sorry).

I go for my consultation in a few weeks. I am worried about my wisdom teeth... that they're going to hold back the starting of my treatment.

My two upper ones have come through, but they are crooked (bottom of the tooth is facing towards my cheek... in a way they are growing out vertically towards my cheek rather than straight down). My lower right one is nowhere to be seen... for now. My lower left one has JUST come through the gum, I can only see the top of the tooth. There is still a bit of gum flapping back and forth over the top corner of it.

I went to see my regular dentist last week for a check up. He said he could see that the bottom left wisdom tooth is coming in severly crooked (I looked it up online and I think the correct term is it's 'impacted mesially'). It's tilting forward into my back Molar.

Why I am going for Invisalign: crooked teeth/overcrowded teeth. I do feel my teeth have come even more out of line since my upper wisdom teeth came through.

My question is, has anyone else had a similar case to mine (with wisdom teeth) and gone ahead with Invisalign? what happened?

I am worried I wont be able to go ahead with it until they are removed... you will all be thinking "ok, what's wrong with that". Well, the time I will have to wait! My dentist has referred me to the hospital (I am in the UK)... and the waiting time for just the hospital consultation is at least 4 months, then I will have to wait again to be booked in. So I could be waiting 6+ months altogether to get them removed.

In a way I am hoping I will be able to start treatment and get them removed during treatment.

I have phoned around and found a couple of oral surgeons in my area who can remove wisdom teeth and impacted ones at their surgery, but it's SO expensive I just cannot afford it. £150 per tooth, that isn't including consultation, x-rays etc etc. So could total upto about £250 or more per tooth :(

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Will my wisdom teeth hold me back?

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Chrystal wrote:in a way they are growing out vertically towards my cheek rather than straight down).
Sorry, I was meant to say diagonally rather than vertically.

SpeakEasyAmy

#3 Post by SpeakEasyAmy »

Have you been identified as an invisalign candidate? I'm pretty sure they are going to want to remove the wisdom teeth if you have crowding. I actually had my four wisdom and four additional teeth extracted to make room.
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

Wireless

#4 Post by Wireless »

Your wisdom teeth could be a problem. Mine were severely impacted and growing sideways into my molars, pushing them forward. This was happening after I had braces as a teenager, causing my teeth to start crowding in the front. My ortho noticed this when I had retainers and took X-rays. I ended up having all four removed before they could cause more problems. If your teeth are getting more out of alignment, this could definitely be a contributer to the problem.

ChelseaRox

#5 Post by ChelseaRox »

Hi Crystal, I just got my Invisalign today. My top left wisdom tooth also sticks out into my cheek, it has never caused me any problems, (Im 41YO) only that sometimes it feels like I have food stuck up in that cheek. The other top one is slightly crooked. I just stuck my finger over my invisalign and have noticed that the invisalign tray ends on the tooth before the horizontal wisdom tooth, the other side where the slightly crooked tooth is, is completely covered by the tray. The only time my dentist mentioned my 'sticking out wisdom tooth' was when I was having crowns on other teeth...just to ask if I had any problems with it. When I go back in 8 weeks I will ask him why the tray isnt over that tooth (maybe when he did the moulds it didnt dig into that gooey stuff cause it was horizontal??). Anyway, best to just ask your dentist. BTW I have been loving my invisalign for the past 3.5 hours, I have no pain or pressure, Im talking fine & they truely are invisible.

myhollywoodsmile

#6 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there,
It's very common for Invisalign not to cover every molar. Mine don't cover my wisdom teeth either. Don't worry- it's quite normal!

BraceFace2o1o

#7 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi all,

Well I was worrying how are they going to get teeth to shift backwards (my left upper front tooth is positioned diagonally and the left side of the tooth sticks forward because the next tooth is behind and pushing it forward if that makes sense) if my wisdom teeth are there, because there is no gum room left for teeth to move into!

I will just have to see how it goes... I am not sure if Orthos will remove wisdom teeth if they need removing prior to starting Invisalign, and I certainly cannot afford to pay some random private dentist to remove them for me! (already looked into it... works out around £250 - £300 per tooth, so that's at least £750 before even paying for Invisalign).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jay Tea

#8 Post by Jay Tea »

ive had linguals top and bottom for over a year and a half and in the past 3-5 months my bottom molars have both popped through. Upper two are no where to be seen and i have a piece of gum flapping on my left bottom molar. I'm not sure what will happen so yeah our molars are breaking through :twisted: