Anyone else become a dental critic?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wobblydeb

Anyone else become a dental critic?

#1 Post by Wobblydeb »

Since starting with Invisalign, I've realised I am paying much more attention to other people's teeth. I'm becoming quite the critic too ... :oops:

I don't say anything (obviously) but I do catch myself thinking stuff like "Oooooo that's a nasty crossbite" or "They really should think about sorting out those crowded lower incisors, otherwise they might lose teeth later in life".

Anyone else doing it? (Please tell me I am not alone!!!)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Wireless

#2 Post by Wireless »

You are not alone!! I do notice other people's teeth, particularly in my age group of 55+. Almost everyone my age has a lot of crowding in their lower teeth. I think teeth naturally move forward with age.

I'm starting to realize my teeth are very different from others my age in that they are perfectly straight and look especially good with my aligners in.

I remember an uncle getting false teeth a number of years ago and requesting the dentist put a "twitch" in one of the front so they would look real rather than perfectly straight. I hope that because I have perfectly straight teeth, nobody thinks I have dentures!! :lol:

John37

#3 Post by John37 »

I have noticed more too! But it's not all bad. I notice what makes someone's smile unique, how a particular tooth is a little crooked, etc. I still might think they have a beautiful smile.

My mother told me once that when she meets someone she knew when she was young that their teeth/smiles always look the same even if their faces are old and wrinkled. It goes back to how each of our smiles makes us unique.

But, yeah, if I see someone with totally crooked teeth, I think that they should get some work done.

myhollywoodsmile

#4 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Yes, I have to confess I am now terribly judgemental about other people's teeth. My sister in law said something recently along the lines of "luckily I've always had straight teeth" and I immediately thought (although didn't say) that her teeth are actually quite misaligned.

I do know though that before I had braces I thought she had quite straight teeth! Just goes to show.

I am also way more critical of my own teeth than before. Although they look MUCH better than they used to already I can still find many, many faults with them. Sigh.

anastasia

#5 Post by anastasia »

I've always scrutinized other people's teeth, because I've been so obsessed with mine and comparing them with others.

But I'm not a critic, I often think that crooked teeth are quite charming. That is, on others - not on me!

I've also become even more critical of my own teeth now. I always thought the shape and colour was pretty nice, but now I'm thinking shaving and bleaching etc.

starzz

#6 Post by starzz »

Totally. I'm also a critic of people who have finished orthodontic work. Like I'll see someone who's teeth are either slanting forward, or who had premolars extracted, and think I wish they had a better job done! I also notice some teeth seem too perfect post braces but can't put my finger on what characteristics trigger that reaction.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

KSM

#7 Post by KSM »

Haha! You are all making me feel so much better about myself. I am always checking out other people's teeth. It started when I was making my decision about invisalign and it hasn't stopped since!