Decided against Invisalign for veneers!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JillH

Decided against Invisalign for veneers!

#1 Post by JillH »

I used this website to make my decision and I could not be happier with the outcome..

my front top teeth were croked and the two middle front teeth crossed over each other, I went for a consultation for invisalign they rushed through it leaving me not feeling confident in the result.. They said it would take around 2 years and around £3K to have invisalign braces..

I then went to my own private dentist to hear his opinion, he made a mould of my teeth and did an example on the mould of what my teeth would like with veneers.. I only need two veneer to make my teeth appear straight..

all in all it cost me just under 1 grand and was done in a week! i couldnt be happier with the result! I would recommend for all those thinking of having invisalign to look at the other suggestions available!

myhollywoodsmile

#2 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi Jill,

Glad you are happy with your teeth.

I also looked into veneers, but was put off by how often they need replacing. from my point of view although there was more upfront cost with Invisalign I wouldn't need any additional cost in the future whereas the veneers might well need replacing five times in my lifetime.

I probably needed a few more than you though. Two wouldn't have been enough to make even my upper teeth look straight. I think I was looking at more like 8-10 in total! (at $1500 a tooth from my cosmetic dentist!)

I was also a bit put off by articles like these
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 48358.html

Glad yours worked out well though.

Wobblydeb

#3 Post by Wobblydeb »

I'm another one who looked at getting veneers! :) After initial consultations and investigating the potential downsides I decided to go for invisalign first.

My lower teeth are actually in good condition (so no staining to cover up) and were too crowded for it to be a sensible solution. Veneers would not have addressed the gum health issues I had.

The upper set is not such an easy decision. 3 of the 4 central incisors have mild deformities which have been filled with bonding, which has discoloured slightly. I may eventually have either veneers or further bonding work done on them. By straightening first with invisalign it will allow a better result from the veneers if I do go ahead. The veneers will not need to be so thick as they will not be building up teeth any more, but simply covering the dents and chips ;)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

JillH

#4 Post by JillH »

yes of course there is the down side of they will need to be replaced, and not my real teeth! I guess there I am lucky I only needed two and so replacing them is not going bankrupt me! but i should think they would only need replacing a couple of times before im old enof to have false teeth! :wink: they recommend every 15 years however I have heard people say they have had them much longer

I think it was definitely the right choice for me as I purely wanted them to appear straight and it was the quickest/cheapest best way to go and I am too impatient to wait 2 years!

Also the invisalign consultant was rude and rushed through it and i didnt feel confident.. where as my dentist took his time even showed me the mould and suggested what he thought was best and put no pressure for me to go ahead with it..

For people who CAN have veneers to make them appear straight I think its a great/quick result

Just wish i had done it earlier!!

John37

#5 Post by John37 »

It doesn't sound bad since you only needed 2 veneers. You're right, having to wear Invisalign for 2 years is a pain. You're lucky that you only had a few teeth out of place. Many of us have several teeth that need to be straightened to getting veneers wouldn't make sense.

About your comment "...before im old enof to have false teeth!" Haven't we gotten to the point of trying to keep our natural teeth for our entire life? Expecting to eventually have to get false teeth is an outdated notion.

Wireless

#6 Post by Wireless »

I'm almost 60 and still have all of my teeth, except my wisdom teeth. My last dental checkup showed that my teeth and gums are in great shape. At this point, I assume with my present ortho treatment, my teeth will last as long as I do!!

I did do some web research on "instant orthodontics" and found that even overbites could be treated with crowns on the rear teeth. However, I asked my wife what it was like to have a crown placed and decided another stint with the orthodontist wasn't so bad after all. I was also concerned that since I had braces before there was the chance my teeth would continue to move unpredictably causing even more problems.

One down side of veneers is the treatment is not reversible. As long as teeth are healthy, ortho treatments can be repeated.