PLEASE help. Bad invisalign story - enamel wearing off

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scorpetteFL

PLEASE help. Bad invisalign story - enamel wearing off

#1 Post by scorpetteFL »

I don't even know where to start - I posted my story here before - I moved and had to switch orthos. Invisalign just didn't work for me for some reason. Don't know why. My ortho kind of gave up ... he didn't order the invisalign retainer but another spring retainer which made my teeth move back. Then I went back to treatment w/the trays again, and he said he'd see me in six months.

I am kind of petrified because my ortho is nonresponsive, but most of all I have noticed that my teeth have taken on a transparent quality, and the edges are very sharp. I used to have great, strong teeth, they were just crooked. I mentioned the enamel wearing to my ortho but he disagrees. I know what I see and feel, though.

Is there ANYONE anywhere who can give me some kind of second opinion - or an overseeing board I can talk to. If I stop using the trays altogether my teeth will go back to what they were $6000 ago. But I feel like I'm damaging my teeth :(

Wireless

#2 Post by Wireless »

Do you also see a family dentist? If you have concerns about the general health of your teeth, this is the best place to start. You may also consider a second ortho opinion to get a further assessment.

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

When you say that your teeth are taking on a transparent quality, it reminds me of what can happen when people over-whiten their teeth. Have you been using teeth whiteners, or any other type of product on your teeth other than toothpaste?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

bint3gra

#4 Post by bint3gra »

bbsadmin wrote:When you say that your teeth are taking on a transparent quality, it reminds me of what can happen when people over-whiten their teeth. Have you been using teeth whiteners, or any other type of product on your teeth other than toothpaste?
I think the poster is referring to acid erosion. It's common to see on the edge of the teeth. I started noticing this too recently, but i dont' think invisalign has anything to do with it. It's from years of drinking coke and having acidic beverages.

I find I'm more conscious of my teeth now so that's why i noticed. From what I read, the damage to the enamel is irreversible. However, you can probably try sensodyne or something equivalent.