SWITCHING!?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Megan11

SWITCHING!?

#1 Post by Megan11 »

I know a lot of people switch from invisalign to braces, but have you guys heard of anyone switching from braces to invisalign. I think its kind of risky because I doubt my ortho will switch me back over to braces for free if everything doesn't work out as planned.

Also I payed 5210 for braces and he said to switch over to invisalign would be an additional 2000, do you think that seems right?

thoughts would be appreciated thanks!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Wireless

#2 Post by Wireless »

The $2000 is probably to pay for Invisalign's set up fees, which I understand are high. As for switching from regular braces to Invisalign, my ortho switched my treatment plan in this direction after he found a pre-existing condition where he thought Invisalign was a better choice. However, I was told that I may have to finish with regular braces if he can't get the results he wants.

In addition to the extra fee, you probably need to ask some other questions about changing treatment. Invisalign requires special molds be taken for their procedure, and it takes several weeks afterwards to get the treatment plan approved and your aligners delivered (mine took over 7 weeks!). I'm not sure what happens if your braces are removed for the molds and you don't resume treatment for this length of time. Your ortho can tell you what to expect.

Another concern I have about Invisalign are their "refinements" where further corrections are needed. This involves having new molds taken then wearing your last set of aligners until they arrive. This is something I wish I had known more about before starting.

Good Luck!!

Megan11

#3 Post by Megan11 »

Thanks for the info Wireless, helped a lot!!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Wireless

#4 Post by Wireless »

Good luck Megan!!

I do suggest looking around this message board on "The Invisalign Diet" (all you can eat in 2 hrs per day!!), attachments, and refinements before making a decision. These are all topics I wish I had known more about before deciding.

Since you may have to do a switch back again, check with your ortho as to any added costs.

My experience with Invisalign is the marketing info is more optimistic than real life experiences about what you can eat and convenience. I have found that nobody notices them, including my wife who offers me snacks followed by "Oh, I forgot!!". The only problem I really have is around food in social situations. Its usually easier to say I have plastic braces than offend someone by not sampling their culinary delight!

My gum health has also improved substantially during my treatment time - this is another Invisalign claim that has worked out.

Wish you the best!!

Pinkvans

#5 Post by Pinkvans »

I'm currently in braces but will be switching to Invsialign soon, hopefully within the next couple of months. My ortho and I agreed on the split treatment plan and I paid more than regular braces because of it. I've asked how the switch will go and he said I would come in during the morning for removal and have the molds taken. During the time it takes the aligners to be created he said I'd have something similar but more pliable.