Wire Retainer

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

teacher61

Wire Retainer

#1 Post by teacher61 »

I received my wire retainer today and have to wear it 22 hours a day at first. I don't know if I can do this. Every time I talk I gag. Anyone else have this problem. Everything else with Invisalign was a breeze until this.

myhollywoodsmile

#2 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Sorry, I can't help with this one as I haven't had a wire retainer (or any so far) Why did you get wire rather than an Invisalign style one if you don't mind me asking?

Wobblydeb

#3 Post by Wobblydeb »

Is it a palate style retainer? I'm guessing that's what is causing you to gag rather than the wire. Perhaps they've made it with the plastic too far back on your palate?
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

teacher61

Wire retainer

#4 Post by teacher61 »

My ortho gave me a choice of the permanent retainer on the back of the teeth or the wire retainer. He said that it would be easier to keep my teeth clean with the wire retainer because I can take it out to brush and floss. I asked him what he would recommend and he said the wire retainer so I went with that.