How to clean you aligners?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

demi

How to clean you aligners?

#1 Post by demi »

Just wondering if anyone has some tips for cleaning you aligners?

PaulInc

#2 Post by PaulInc »

Toothpaste + Toothbrush.

It gets incredibly tedious, and i have an electric toothbrush.

Spooky Tooth

#3 Post by Spooky Tooth »

I alternate between a Braun electric toothbrush and the sonic cleaner from Dentakit.com, the firm that advertises on this site. Both seem to work fairly well at cleaning the white gunk that collects in my aligners, especially the parts that cover the molars.

The Sonic Brite cost me about $30 plus the cleaning powder. I'm about halfway through the powder and just starting my seventh set of aligners. In all, I'd say it's worth the money. It's a lot less messy than using the brush which tends to spatter toothpaste. And, most importantly, the aligners leave the bath smelling clean and fresh.

p.s. I would recommend buying some extra slim-line carrying cases for the aligners from Dentakit. They only cost about $3 and are better than the official ones that came with the aligners. I've got an extra in my car, my wife's car, and at the office. It has really come in handy to have the extras.

John37

#4 Post by John37 »

I just use a regular plain cheap old toothbrush with one of those little rubber things on the handle end. I scrub the aligners with the brush and water. If there is gunk build up I use the rubber tip thingy to scrap it off with. Sometimes the outer part of the aligner that covers the back of the molars build up gunk and I can scrap it off with my fingernail. I also keep the aligners in a bowl of tap water next to the sink when they are out at home. I think this prevents the minerals in the water from drying onto the aligners. Mine stay pretty much clean.

Steve700

#5 Post by Steve700 »

I was thinking about this and wondered if you could use Steradent, but as I've just started aligners 12/13, it's a bit late for me to change from toothbrush and, ac ouple of times a week, toothpaste.

Steve

Wobblydeb

#6 Post by Wobblydeb »

I clean mine with toothbrush and toothpaste. When I'm at home I use my sonic toothbrush which does a really good job on them. They get a proper clean once or twice a day.

I also give them a bath in denture cleaning tablets about halfway through the fortnight. :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Wobblydeb

#7 Post by Wobblydeb »

*duplicate post*
Last edited by Wobblydeb on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wobblydeb

#8 Post by Wobblydeb »

*duplicate post*
Last edited by Wobblydeb on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leelee

#9 Post by Leelee »

I use my Sonic Care toothbrush and The Natural Dentist toothpaste, which doesn't have SLS. I figure, if I'm going to be brushing my teeth up to 4 times more often w/Invisalign, it's a good idea to prevent irritating my gums w/detergent. :roll: Anyway, I brush my aligners at night before going to bed, and again when I wake up. This keeps the build up to a minimum, and I haven't had any problems.
Finished w/Invisalign Express, now on my third set of Vivera retainers

Fishamble

#10 Post by Fishamble »

I believe the secret is to never let your braces become dry.

I have a similar practice to John37 - my braces go into a 100ml water-tight container (with water!) as soon as I remove them from my mouth - always. The container comes everywhere with me. Then a toothbrush and plain water once or twice a day are enough to keep them like new.

I've been at this a year. My first half-dozen braces became really mucky, and I really struggled to keep them clean. Now I have no trouble.

Ems

#11 Post by Ems »

Am new to staring this treatment and am on my top 3/24 and bottom 3/10 and i just use toothbrush and toothpaste to clean mine. I clean mine every time i take them out first thing in the morning, then at lunch and then after tea. I never get any gunk in mine like some of you are saying and i wear mine for over 22 hours a day, my trays still look good when i change to my new ones so its working with the toothpaste and brush. :D

djrobsd

#12 Post by djrobsd »

Soniccare toothbrush does wonders... And only $40-50 bucks.

lomdogs

#13 Post by lomdogs »

I use Efferdent every morning for about 20-30 minutes. Usually don't have to start until day 3 because when the aligners are really tight, they don't get all that grossness in them. I always rinse them well and brush with toothbrush and toothpaste before I put them in, but I find that they need the extra cleaning each morning. I think everyone's needs are different because some people never need to clean them well, but my saliva must have something icky in it because I sure do! I never get cavities either so it may be a good thing! :)

Alex2411

#14 Post by Alex2411 »

i just use a normal toothbrush and cold water and scrub my aligners, its been working fine for me, no need to buy expensive toothbrushes just use a standard one and it does the job
Braces On Teeth << My Invisalign Adventure

BZA

#15 Post by BZA »

I just use a normal tooth brush, like a 50 cent one you get from the dollar store. I usually brush them at night time before i go to bed, and in the morning before i go to school. Those are basically the only time i brush them with toothpaste. At lunch i will just take them out, and rinse them well before putting them back in. And the only other time i brush them is if i'm going out and about, parties etc.