Invisalign Retainer?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SharonD

Invisalign Retainer?

#1 Post by SharonD »

So, I'm getting close to being done with my sets. 15/15 on the bottom and 15/16 on top. At my appt about a month ago, my orthodontist told me that she would make me a retainer and that it would be less clear and more flexible that Invisalign. I wasn't very happy about that since I'm already used to the way Invisalign looks and feels. So, I go back yesterday because I lost an attachment and she starts telling me that the last trays will be my retainers. She clarified her mistake about the other retainer, but what upsets me is that my last tray will still have the bumps in it for the attachments. (which will be removed once we are done with these trays and possibly refinements) I wouldn't mind this much if I only had to wear them to bed but she's telling me that 3 months full time is what she suggests.

After expressing my concern about this, she then tells me that Invisalign offers an "Insurance plan" for $400 which gets you retainers with no bumps every so many months. This is very disappointing to have spent so much money on these and I can't even get a "bump-free" retainer from Invisalign without spending more??

For those who have finished (if you still visit here) what did your ortho do for a retainer?

Lilypad

#2 Post by Lilypad »

My ortho gave me 2 sets of essix retainers which I'm not too fond of. They are thicker and sturdier than the invisalign aligners, but not nearly as comfortable. But I'm thinking they will last a long time. Read over the papers you signed and see if your contract says anything about providing retainers. Almost sounds like she is copping out. I don't think, from what Ive read on here, that the regular aligners will last for very long. I would want something to keep my teeth straight after all this. FYI, I asked the ortho how much a replacement set of essix retainers cost and he told me $180. Any ortho can make them.

SharonD

#3 Post by SharonD »

She told me that she would make one but they aren't as comfortable as Invisalign. I really don't want it, I would just like an Invisalign tray without bumps. Don't you think that Invisalign should include that?

jeni

#4 Post by jeni »

What was originally described to you sounds like what I have. The retainers are clear and more flexible than Invisalign. They were made by the ortho in his office in less than a half hour after my attachments were all removed (so no bumps). The principle differences are: the retainer doesn't have the ridges like Invisalign does and the shape. Really, I didn't notice the retainer being any more or less noticable. Where Invisalign contours to your gumline with each tooth shape, the retainer did not. The retainer was straight, kind of like how I remember dentures looking like. The retainer made by the ortho is supposed to last longer than the last aligner for Invisalign. I remember reading about how Invisalign's retainer is made of a higher grade plastic to withstand wear longer.

SnowSara

#5 Post by SnowSara »

Just my 2¢ re: essix retainers: They are quite comfortable! So no worries there ;)
(I can understand being used to one thing and switching to another, though, my situation was obviously different)

as a side note, I have to say, you guys have it tougher on the speaking-without-a-lisp thing. I had no trouble speaking in braces, but man, when i got my essix retainers it took some wrangling to get my tongue used to this foreign object between it and my teeth, every word came out sounding like it started with a "D" for a couple days!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

jennicakes

#6 Post by jennicakes »

I am going through the same thing right now and am also disappointed because my ortho said i have to keep my last aligners (also with the bumps) and i can wear these at night then they will attach a permanent wire to the backs of the top and bottom teeth.

my last top aligner is over 2 months old and is almost broken completely in half! how am i supposed to use that one forever???

I am also worried about having the wires as it might affect my speech.

I was really looking forward to invisalign retainers. If I ask my ortho, do u think they will order the invisalign ones for me? (I wouldn't want to pay extra but i would if need be)

Has anyone else with invisalign experienced wire retainers? is this a normal thing for the ortho to use after invisalign? and will it make it difficult to speak with them in? and more importantly, will it hold my teeth well enough?

SharonD

#7 Post by SharonD »

My orthodontist is trying to tell me that the Invisalign tray will last a very long time. I find that hard to believe because I see how nasty they can get after 2 weeks.

I bet if you ask for a new retainer, they try to sell you the Invisalign "Insurance Plan."

Lilypad

#8 Post by Lilypad »

I have a bonded retainer on the top two front teeth. It did affect my speech for about a week, then my tongue got used to it and I've had no problem with it since. I still can't talk when I have the essix retainer in. :roll:

Leelee

#9 Post by Leelee »

I got the Express set, so I know there are no refinements or retainers included, but my dentist did mention that I would need to pay $375 for a retainer, and there is a program where you get a new one every so often. The length of time between new retainers is determined by the dentist, so I dunno how many I will need once I'm done, but yeah...I think it kind of sucks that they don't include retainers in the already high price they charge for aligners. Another thing I might mention is that my dentist said most ppl get their teeth whitened on the first aligner, and he asks Invisalign not to put bumps for attachments on that one...I decided to get whitening done on my last tray, so I'm assuming it will not have any bumps on it. Maybe you can ask your ortho if he/she can ask them to include an extra tray w/o attachments for whitening purposes? I don't know if that can be done at no charge, but who knows. Since you didn't get the Express, I feel like they should be able to provide you with a retainer at no extra charge, regardless, since the cost for anything more than 10 trays goes up soooo much.
Finished w/Invisalign Express, now on my third set of Vivera retainers

jennicakes

#10 Post by jennicakes »

that's strange because my ortho used the express also, which i still have no idea what that means because my ortho didn't even mention that's what he used until the end. anyway, my first revision was included (but the retainers are not

Leelee

#11 Post by Leelee »

jennicakes wrote:that's strange because my ortho used the express also, which i still have no idea what that means because my ortho didn't even mention that's what he used until the end. anyway, my first revision was included (but the retainers are not
Hmm...Well, Express means your case *should* be simple enough to be corrected in only 10 trays or less on upper and/or lower. I was told that even one more tray would've cost substantially more, so I figured refinements would not be included. I'll need to clarify this w/my dentist on my next appt though. As for retainers, as far as I know, they're never included w/the base Invisalign price, as they're made separately, as part of their retainer program...Although I don't see how the dentist/ortho finangling a final tray w/no attachments to serve as a retainer (at least for several months) should prove too impossible.
Finished w/Invisalign Express, now on my third set of Vivera retainers