Concerns over IPR??

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Invisibeth

Concerns over IPR??

#1 Post by Invisibeth »

Has anyone ever had problems resulting from IPR?

I finally discovered what IPR was when I when in yesterday and they explained they had to "shave" a bit from between my 2 front teeth-- my first and only IPR, he told me.

However, my ortho didn't do it, but one of the assistants/technicians. I was a bit concerned, as would anyone be when they are *sandpapering* away between your two front teeth. Anyway, when she was finished, I could feel, with the tip of my tongue, a scratchy little bit. It felt just like there was a little spec that might be hanging down (like when you file a nail and miss a fine little piece). So the ortho came over and inspected it, and wondered if it was just a little piece of enamel that would shift as the teeth put themselves back together. At my insistence that everything at which he poked made no difference, he finally took a jackhammer-like thing to my teeth and tried to whirrrrr it down. It didn't quite work, but he figures is will work itself out. (For the record, I really trust/like my ortho, but was a bit concerned when I was wondering if HE was concerned! I couldn't tell).

I am *still* feeling it (obviously, when my aligner isn't in), and am really annoyed: should the IPR have been something that the ortho does? In other words, could the assistant have made a goof? Or will this go away, as they suspect?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's really not a big deal, I'm sure, but as we all know, when there is a tiny sharp bitty sliver sticking out of your tooth, it seems to be ALL you notice!

??

nogota

#2 Post by nogota »

I'm sorry you have a sharp uneven bit. That's so frustrating. My ortho did my IPR, but that's just how they do it at his practice. I'm sure it's fine that the assistant did it. I can't feel any uncomfortable edges from where I had IPR, but I did have a tiny but of the glue from the brackets (I have traditional braces on bottom) sticking out on one of my teeth and it just about drove me mental. I would chew on metal or glass to try and shave it down (in private of course :wink: ). Eventually it wore away on it's own, which I suspect your bit will do too, it's just exceptionally annoying until then. I hope it evens our quickly, and try not to think about it too much. :)

Chole

Re: Concerns over IPR??

#3 Post by Chole »

Invisibeth wrote:Has anyone ever had problems resulting from IPR?

I finally discovered what IPR was when I when in yesterday and they explained they had to "shave" a bit from between my 2 front teeth-- my first and only IPR, he told me.

However, my ortho didn't do it, but one of the assistants/technicians. I was a bit concerned, as would anyone be when they are *sandpapering* away between your two front teeth. Anyway, when she was finished, I could feel, with the tip of my tongue, a scratchy little bit. It felt just like there was a little spec that might be hanging down (like when you file a nail and miss a fine little piece). So the ortho came over and inspected it, and wondered if it was just a little piece of enamel that would shift as the teeth put themselves back together. At my insistence that everything at which he poked made no difference, he finally took a jackhammer-like thing to my teeth and tried to whirrrrr it down. It didn't quite work, but he figures is will work itself out. (For the record, I really trust/like my ortho, but was a bit concerned when I was wondering if HE was concerned! I couldn't tell).

I am *still* feeling it (obviously, when my aligner isn't in), and am really annoyed: should the IPR have been something that the ortho does? In other words, could the assistant have made a goof? Or will this go away, as they suspect?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's really not a big deal, I'm sure, but as we all know, when there is a tiny sharp bitty sliver sticking out of your tooth, it seems to be ALL you notice!

??
I have to get this done!!! :shock: You just gave me the willies

SnowSara

#4 Post by SnowSara »

My ortho himself did my IPR, he apparently draws the line there as well as his assistants did most everything else for me.

As far as the scratchiness you feel, it takes a week or two but it does smooth out on its own and becomes totally natural again.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

legalcat

#5 Post by legalcat »

At my ortho only the ortho does the IPR. I havent had it done yet but I will be getting it done in two weeks. When I went to get my impressions made he did shave down a very pointy part on my canine tooth and I was really happy with that. It was a weird feeling but didnt actually hurt... just give me the willies and felt weird... I'm hoping the IPR will be basically the same... I have to get it between 4 teeth all on one side.

diehard

#6 Post by diehard »

4 some reason when i needed a space my ortho never used a machine she always did it by hand which was a bit strange it felt like she was pushing a nail file back and forth :roll:

jennicakes

#7 Post by jennicakes »

mine also used a file. and as far as the assistant doing my ipr, I would be very upset about this. there is a reason why assistants are just that, assistants. They have not had the training that the ortho has been through. I dont mind them doing anything else, like putting the buttons on my teeth etc, because if they screw it up, it is reversible.

If I was in your possition, and my ortho told me the assistant would be doing my ipr, I would not say anything to stop it because I would feel too stupid.

Festivus

#8 Post by Festivus »

I just had this done today (1st time). Not too bad, really. Ortho used a dental tool with a file that vibrates, which in turn is connected to a computer that sets the exact tenth(s) of a mm to be be removed. Very cool, didn't hurt execpt when he brushed my gums a couple times. Had 3 spots done, .2mm each time. The assistant keyed in the specifications in the computer then held Mr. Thirsty, and the ortho did his thing.

No worries, just a little tender in those spots.

dmrs1

IPR Problem

#9 Post by dmrs1 »

Invisabeth, I am having the same problem after an IPR. Did yours ever go away or do you still feel something? About two weeks ago, it started to feel like there was a splinter stuck between my teeth, but I can't see anything and my dentist didn't seem too interested in looking.