Invisalign impressions taken. Some serious issues raised!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

invisible

Invisalign impressions taken. Some serious issues raised!

#1 Post by invisible »

Hi guys,

So glad I found this site. :)

I had impressions for Invisalign taken end of Dec, these came back as not suitable so had to be retaken today.
My dentist had to repeat these on numerous occasions.
Even at the end it was clear she was not happy with the results but due to time constraints called it a day.

Now at one point she was talking with the receptionist. They discussed
'making life easy'
by just ignoring tooth 7 from the aligners.
tooth 7-second molar ( no wisdom teeth yet)

To me it seems like a major shortcut
How much should I be concerned by this?

Need some reassuring as I'm going to invest a whole lot of pain, heartache and hopefully joy into this. :( :)

jeni

#2 Post by jeni »

I think you should be concerned that they are not willing to take the time to get a perfect result. Otherwise, you will probably end right back there to get a more acceptable impression taken in a few weeks.

I think it will be difficult for the aligner to get a good grip on the 2nd molar if it is not being covered and thus may impact the movement. Plus, what about if your bite on the 2nd molar is not perfect to begin with? If there is no aligner on it, the teeth cannot move to make the better bite.

Are your wisdom teeth visible on x-ray below the gum line but just haven't erupted or are they really not there? If they are under the gum line and pushing on the 2nd molar, they may cause crowding for other teeth after treatment is concluded. My dentist wouldn't even discuss Invisalign with me until after all of my wisdom teeth were taken out because of this very concern.

Lilypad

#3 Post by Lilypad »

Yes, I would be EXTREMELY concerned. If the impressions aren't perfect, how do they expect your teeth to be??? :shock:

invisible

Confidence rocked indeed

#4 Post by invisible »

Thanks so much guys :)

I did make my reservations known at the time but the only half hearted answer I got was
"Retainers don't usually go that far back"
To which I was thinking they're aligners not retainers and if that's the case surely Invisalign would know that themselves. At that very point the Invisalign man was on the phone about my case and there was some sort of horse trading going on!!!

Not to many Invisalign providers where I am but going to check things out with them and also talk to an ortho about actual braces.

Thank God for internet forums. :D

invisible

Wisdom teeth

#5 Post by invisible »

jeni wrote:Are your wisdom teeth visible on x-ray below the gum line but just haven't erupted or are they really not there? If they are under the gum line and pushing on the 2nd molar, they may cause crowding for other teeth after treatment is concluded.
Hi jeni.

My wisdom teeth are there on x-ray just haven't erupted yet.
And heres the clincher at least two of them are coming in horizontally and pushing/going to push on my 2nd molars.
Dentist seems to have not figured these facts in!

Devushka

#6 Post by Devushka »

Yikes. That seems a bit scary. I hope you get everything straightened out or get a second opinion or something. I can't believe that there are dentists/orhtodontists that are willing to do that when people are paying good money for these appliances.

I am in the same boat as you with the wisdom teeth only mine isn't pushing my second molar. I will have to have my wisdom teeth taken out either during my treatment or right after(No way in hell do I want all that work to be for naught when the wisdom teeth pop up and wreck everything!).

Let us know how it works out. Good luck!

invisible

2nd molar

#7 Post by invisible »

Hi guys

Got my ClinCheck back and after specifically requesting was given 5 .avi files showing progress.

Now check this out
RIGHT SIDE AT BEGINNING

RIGHT SIDE AT END

Also this video file showing the process from start to end
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 8333316936

Notice that the 2nd molar is just sticking out at the beginning and..... well at the end.
Seems that they decided to miss out tooth 7 after all!

Going to talk to my dentist about it on Mon.
So what you guys think.... how bad is it?
Last edited by invisible on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeni

#8 Post by jeni »

It looks pretty bad (to me at least). The front teeth do not even look right from the side and it still looks quite crowded. How many aligners would that be?

invisible

Invisassement

#9 Post by invisible »

Thanks jeni :)

Length of time is 34 weeks - 8 1/2 months
Number of aligners is 17 not sure whether that is top, bottom or both did not get that in the briefing.