Problems with attachments staying attached?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SharonD

Problems with attachments staying attached?

#1 Post by SharonD »

I just got my six attachments on Monday. Tuesday one fell off...back to the ortho on Wednesday to get a new one. Here we are at Thursday....same attachment came off in the tray AGAIN!! I know that I have heard of people losing attachments, but the same one twice within 2 days?!

Anyone else have trouble with their attachments staying attached?

jeni

#2 Post by jeni »

Oh, sure it happens. Of my 3 attachments all of them had to be reattached on the day of application and I think even a few again that day. It is because there they were not adhered properly by not applying enough pressure when curing.

SharonD

#3 Post by SharonD »

She told me that there may have been moisture when she put it on so she was really careful when reattaching it. She seemed really confident that it was attached better than before. Guess not! :)

SayCheez

#4 Post by SayCheez »

Im sooo happy Im not the only on that experienced this.

I have one attachment on my bottoms, the day I got them on I went home, took my bottom tray out to eat and to my suprise the attachment is stuck in tray! ok so, the nesxt week, I go to get it put back on, I take the tray out infront of the othro to make sure its secure - everythings fine. Later that night at home I take my bottom tray out to brush my teeth - I look and the attachment is stuck in the tray AGAIN!!!!!

At my next appointment the othro said that when an attachment doesnt stay on - I guess stucks in the tray, that usually means the tooth is moving just fine and theres really no use for it. I am now on my 11th bottom try out of 11 and everything is great! I guess I really didnt need them after all.

Over50

#5 Post by Over50 »

If you didn't have the attachment that came off reattached, do you now have bumps in the subsequent aligners where the attachment was originally planned to be? I don't understand how Align can make all the trays at once (planning on future placement of attachments) since the original molds obviously do not have the impressions where the attachments would be located. I am sure I am missing an important factor here!! Perhaps someone can clarify this.

SayCheez

#6 Post by SayCheez »

Hi!

Yes, my bottom trays still have the bumps where the attachment was suppose to be.

Invisalign is able to make all of the aligners at once with the help of computers and your othro understanding how teeth work. Im not sure if I can post my clinicheck on here (if anyone knows how please help, lol) but you can see how my teeth are moving with each try.

so when you take your impressions, I think they are sent to a lab, where everything is documented on a computer & where your othro advises (with the help of the computer of course) how your teeth should move in order for you to look you very best.

Over50

#7 Post by Over50 »

So, even though you do not have the attachment on one spot, you will have that "bump" in your aligners for the remainder of your treatment! Another thought, if the attachments are placed after the molds are made and the aligners made with the spots for the attachments, then when the doc places the attachements on the teeth the slightest variation would make the fit of the aligners different. No wonder some people have so much trouble getting the aligners off with the attachments while others do not. If the "speed bump" isn't just right on the predetermined position, it won't fit with the aligner as well. Just a theory, but I think it might be a reasonable possibility. What are others' thoughts on this?

John37

#8 Post by John37 »

I had one attachment fall off sometime during the second set of aligners which was the first set that had the attachments. I got that put back on before set 3. Another attachment fell off around tray 10 (14 of 28 now). So I guess it's just random. I have 7 attachments total.