Snacking and Drinking Beer?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catalan0

Snacking and Drinking Beer?

#1 Post by catalan0 »

Has anyone else given up on snacking because of the pain in the butt it is to re-wash all your teeth just for a simple pretzel, etc?

Also, does anyone out there have any experience with going otu drinking beer for a few hours? Do you take them out or just leave them in and wash good when you get home?

I'm a week into my 1st tray.

Abell

#2 Post by Abell »

I lost 5 lbs in 1 week with my 1st set of aligners. I didn't want to keep popping them in and out. Now, instead of having just coffee in the morning, I'll eat something so that I won't snack as much. If I know that I'm going out at night, I'll usually keep them on as much as possible throughout the day, then take them off for the time that I'm out. It's a pain to take them out everytime you want a drink of anything other than water. I was away from home with tray 2 and drank white wine. They look more stained than the other trays but I don't know if it was from the wine or just not cleaning them as much. Anyway, It gets easier to snack, drink and eat...I gained back 4 lbs.

sarahr10

#3 Post by sarahr10 »

I drink white wine and beer with them in all the time (Im on number 8 of 22 on the top). I just clean them really well when I get home, so far so good...by the time they get gross, its time to change them anyways :)

Lilypad

#4 Post by Lilypad »

I havent eaten anything yet with the aligners in, but i have to say...prob about twice a week i have drank beer with them in. I just brush my teeth and the aligner well when im done. I go for my first teeth cleaning since i got them wed so it will be interesting to see what my hygenist says...Ill let y'all know. day 7 of 2/12.......wow, i guess im 1/6 done :-88

diehard

#5 Post by diehard »

if your hygenist is anything like mine then u will be in there every 3 months using invisalign as an excuse me thinks it hurts my pocket £65 a time

fabfemme

#6 Post by fabfemme »

I drink (alcohol, coffee, diet cola) and "eat" soft foods (like yogurt or smoothie) and then rinse with mouthwash after. I brush my teeth and clean the aligners three times a day (morning-afternoon-dinner) so nothing really gets too gross. Like sarahr said, by the time they are gross-it's time to change.

I get cleanings every 3 months by switching off with regular dentist and then perio. A few months ago the perio guy said my teeth were looking really good. Getting the regular cleaning next week. So thus far, no major problems...hope I don't get cavities later on!!

Top: 11 of 13
Bottoms: 11 of 19

jennicakes

#7 Post by jennicakes »

i eat everything with them in, but have to rinse them out frequently because food gets caught in them. I work all day, and i was getting sick from taking them out frequently with my germ filled hands from the customers i take money from. I can't be constantly running to the back room every time I need to take them out/ put them back in. So this is just easier for me. Also, i have drank red wine with them a few times now, and have not noticed ANY staining. I also drink coffee and diet coke at work. I should probably be a little more careful though, but i've also eaten hard foods, such as pretzels, chips, peanuts, etc. and i'm fine so far, so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

diehard

#8 Post by diehard »

holly crap could u are invisaligns worst nightmare :twisted:

Lilypad

#9 Post by Lilypad »

id be a lil worried about all the acid that gets in beween the aligners and your teeth. Who cares about the aligners, you're going to be done with them, but............your teeth and gums????? (no saliva to rinse the teeth) :-}

HeyTeach

#10 Post by HeyTeach »

anyone chew gum of some sort with invisalign? Just wndering if stick free sugarless gum will be ok? (or do I have to gnaw tree bark?)

waiting2smile

#11 Post by waiting2smile »

I tried sugar free gum once and I can say that i would not recommend it. What a sticky mess that was, to say the least! :? Fortunately I changed trays the next day. I dont think I would have ever gotten all othe gum off the aligner.

Some people say that gum meant for dentures (Dentine I think?) should be OK but I havent tried yet.

sarahr10

#12 Post by sarahr10 »

I second waiting2smile's advice. I tried gum once and it was a sticky mess that was not worth all the clean up! :)

Lilypad

#13 Post by Lilypad »

Woo Hoo! Just back from the hygenist and she says....all is looking good! In fact she changed me from 4 months to 6 months!!!! She said all the brushing and flossing ive been doing due to invisalign has actually helped both my teeth and gums. So im sticking with the water only rule (except for a few beers a couple times a week). yay! no cavities !!!!!!! :dance:

sandra

#14 Post by sandra »

Well, I haven't lost weight, I have gained weight! I hate the hassle of cleaning them so much, so I eat a ton whenever I eat. I have got to fix this.

dezzee

#15 Post by dezzee »

I drink beer with mine in..any frozen drinks, I use a straw because the less sugar getting under the aligners, the better! I agree with sarahr10 - cleam them very well after drinking cause after 2 weeks you can barely stand to have them in your mouth anymore.