Drinking things other than water

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

summersun3eb

Drinking things other than water

#1 Post by summersun3eb »

On occasion can you drink things like white wine, beer with the trays in? I am trying to get a sense for what it will be to go out to a bar with the trays in for a night of socializing with friends. Is it allowed? I know you aren't supposed to drink things that could stain the trays, but if you drink clear liquids are you risking anything? Or is the concern more about the sugars in your mouth??

jml

#2 Post by jml »

It is both the concern of staining and the sugars being held next to the teeth by the trays. I've had Invisalign for 16 months now. I don't drink wine or coffee with them in. I sometimes drink beer with them in & definitely mixed drinks. If unable to brush afterwards I swish & swallow bottled water & even rinse the alligners with bottled water before putting them back in. I've recently been doing this while at the beach. I think it's better to have them in for the recommended hours per day than taking them out for hours while out with friends.

diehard

#3 Post by diehard »

:lol: i do not think this is the type of conversation u can bring up with the ortho, whats the best drink i can have with trays in thus allowing me to get pissed and not doing too much harm to the trays, i have to admit i feel so bad when drinking with them in must be because u sort of train yourself to be good to them, i think beer is probably best but i like vodka and coke but for staining purpose vodka and lemonade (sprite) would be good and non staing wise.

waiting2smile

#4 Post by waiting2smile »

I try to stick to water mostly but I have been know to have a glass of red wine ( or 2 or 3 :wink: ) and an occasional diet coke with my aligners in and I have never had a problem with cavities or staining for that matter. I think the trick is rinsing them off soon after you had your "naughty" beverage to wash away any sugar residue that may cause problems. Is this isn't doable then I'd stay stick with the clear stuff and have a glass of water on the side.

I do take them out for my coffee however because hot liquids can warp the aligners and that is not something I want to deal with.

Diehard - Go ahead and enjoy that occasional vodka and coke, just don't have so many that you forget your wearing them!!