Invisalign question

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Debi

Invisalign question

#1 Post by Debi »

Yesterday I found out that my Ortho had been trying to reach me several days ago. The message said it was important that he speak with me BEFORE the Invisalign braces were sent out to him. Any idea what this could mean? The message said it was important! No one was in the office yesterday and they won't be back in till Monday. I am pacing the floor wondering what this could be about. Has anyone else been called in to the office just before the Invisalign company sends the aligners out?

Thanks,
Debbi

Debi

Invisalign

#2 Post by Debi »

Okay, it's me, answering my own question. I called the Ortho as soon as they opened. Turns out they want me to come in and see a video of my teeth before and after (that should be interesting!). THEN, if we approve on how they look afterwards, the Ortho will give the Invisalign co. the heads up to send the aligners out to me. Whew! I was already imagining having to decide between metal and ceramic! Hey, I won't have the aligners for Thanksgiving after all. I guess that's a good thing.

Debbi (Thank you to those who pm'ed me)

SW

#3 Post by SW »

Well at least it wasn't bad news! Good Luck :)
STEPHANIE

rooroo

#4 Post by rooroo »

When I first went in for mold for Invisalign, they said they wern't completely sure I could be treated with Invisalign. Months went by and I finally called them back to ask if they had heard back from Invisalign. Turns out they had already approved the treatment and the aligners were on their way. How crooked/crowded are your teeth? They did a good job on my teeth. I'm all done with the Invisalign treatment, and am having ceramics put on in two days because a few teeth didn't turn completely. Since I paid a lot of money for the treatment, the doc wanted to make sure my teeth were perfect, so he told me to do traditional braces for 6 months to a year, no charge.

You'll find that the aligners hurt a lot at first. The first week for me sucked because I had to get used to having all this plastic in my mouth. I had a lisp for that week, and the inside of the bottom aligner cut up my tongue. But after that first week, the treatment didn't hurt much. Usually just one or two days of pain afterwards.

Anyway, if you ever have any questions about Invisalign feel free to PM me! Good luck!

Debi

Invisalign

#5 Post by Debi »

Thanks so much rooroo,

How long did you have to wear the aligners? They told me possibly two years. I have spacing between my front teeth and just slight turning of a couple of bottom teeth that aren't really noticable. It's really the spaces that I want closed. I'll have to figure out how to take a picture of my teeth without being so close that it's blurry. Have to admit, I HATE showing my teeth to anyone though. <sigh

Did you get to see this video of your before/after teeth? If you did, was it accurate?

Thanks for inviting me to pm you. It's hard to find people who've used Invisalign.

~Debbi

rooroo

Re: Invisalign

#6 Post by rooroo »

I had 40 uppers and 40 lowers, and wore each for 2 weeks. I cracked the first set within a week, so they had to send a new set. It was my fault because i was taking them out wrong, so make sure you pay attention to the way they tell you to take them out. You probably wont have that problem as my upper incisors stuck out a lot so there was a weak point in the aligners. Thats right where it cracked. So that added another month onto my treatment. Then the last 3 aligners the doc had me wear each for 4 weeks to see if the few teeth that wern't turning would turn. So that added 1 1/2 months onto it.

I believe I started in Feburary of 2002, so it's almost 2 years for me. I just finished up treatment a week ago.

I didnt get to see the video beforehand, which I was dissapointed about. I don't think they were showing the patients the videos then. But I did convince the doctor to let me see what #40 looked like when I was on around #12 or #13. I'm impressed with how they worked out. I think I was a borderline case to begin with, so their ability to get me to this point without having to deal with the metal justifies the expense to me.

Oh, one more point of advice. They do stain, but I found only from red or purple drinks. They don't stain too bad, but I took some NyQuil one time without taking them out, and the next day the aligers were pinkish tinged. It wasn't noticable, but I was worried after that that the staining would get worse.

I don't know too many other people that wore Invisalign either. When I did it very few people had gone through that treatment, so I didn't have anyone to talk to about it. But I figured it all out along the way, and as far as teeth straightening treatment, its well worth it.