I don't like my orthodontist but its too late

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yvart

I don't like my orthodontist but its too late

#1 Post by yvart »

Hi everybody. I am in "week 8" of Invisalign treatment. I will need to do 14 aligners for the bottom and 17 for the top. My main problem is a too-narrow arch and crowding.

It has been SO helpful to read others' questions and answers on this site, as my orthodontist doesn't want to answer any questions. She didn't even want to show my the Clincheck - I had to insist that she show it to me! She never mentioned it, but I learned about it on the web. When she had her assistant show it to me, they acted like it was a HUGE favor.

She has a very busy practice with all the latest equipment, and I believe she is good at what she does ... or at least I hope so. But whenever I ask a question about my treatment, she barely answers, or says "no one has asked that before!" I looked on amazon.com for a book about adults who get braces, but there was nothing current.

That said, I have adjusted to wearing the aligners pretty well. I truly want to have nice straight, evenly spaced teeth, and I can already see a difference in my back teeth: when I floss there is more room, and by comparing my first aligner with my current aligner, I can see the expansion has already taken place. :)

What should I do with this orthodontist? I prepaid, because she gave a 5% discount for doing so. We have friends/acquaintances in common and that is the main reason I went to her for a consult. She is well known in this area so she can't be a total loser. But I wish I had done other consults. She treats mostly children, but also adults. I honestly think she is only interested in the money ...

Should I talk to her about this? or just put up and shut up and get through the treatment?

Also - what about this refinements thing? Is this really common with Invisalign? When the basic treatment is over, I really want to call it a day and just do the retainer thing.

Thanks much for any advice on this one.

- Tracy in PA

invisagirl

#2 Post by invisagirl »

Its been my experience that most orthos are just not the communicative type. I think also that with Invisalign treatment being determined mostly by a computer its harder for the ortho to answer questions about it since they don't know your case as well as the know the traditional patients. As for refinements must people do end up with needing them so maybe prepare yourself now just in case. Good luck!

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.