Invisalign - serious effects on my body

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cmccart

Invisalign - serious effects on my body

#1 Post by cmccart » Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 am

I started wearing Invisalign in May 2018. After 3 weeks my voice sounded like a deaf person's voice. I didn't think it would be permanent and found no other person having had this side effect when I searched on line. However, after a few months, I developed swallowing and breathing difficulties. I have had 3 episodes of choking on certain foods, and am now very careful what I eat. Also I have weakness in my right lower leg, making it difficult to walk properly. My voice has since got worse and I now find it very difficult to communicate. I went to my GP in November and he referred me to a Neurologist. I stopped wearing the brace in February after reading about 'life-threatening' events on line. After several tests, MRI, CT scan, EMG/NCS and numerous blood tests I am now faced with a life-shortening diagnosis. Has anyone else had anything like this? I am keen to get the brace tested for toxic chemicals/contaminants. I found out, too late, that the braces were made in Mexico rather than the USA where I had thought they were made.

Jethro

Re: Invisalign - serious effects on my body

#2 Post by Jethro » Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 pm

I have no experience with Invisalign, but I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. You may want to post this in the Metal Mouth Forum as it seems to get much more traffic.

All the Best,

Jethro

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd » Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 am

What makes you think wearing Invisalign braces has caused your health problems?

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin » Fri May 31, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm glad that a neurologist is evaluating you. This sounds to me almost like the symptoms of ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) and you should ask your doctor about that.

Regarding the Invisalign, it has caused some people to have allergic reactions, but not to the extent of the symptoms that you describe (that I have heard of). Mainly what I've read is that people have swelling or rashes in their mouth, possibly affecting their ability to swallow -- or they have sore throats.

They do make Invisalign aligners which are supposed to be totally hypoallergenic, and some people who have had problems have switched to the hypoallergenic aligners. You should ask your dentist or orthodontist about that.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!