speech problem

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

24braceface

speech problem

#1 Post by 24braceface »

I just got my invisalign put on last Monday. The aligners have given me a slight speech problem. I find it difficult to move my mouth around properly when talking and the words are coming out jumbled up. My Mom says that it's like I have a 'mouth full of mush'. Will I eventually get used to the aligners or not?

LoronDotCom

#2 Post by LoronDotCom »

You will eventually get used to it, I didn't have as much of a problem adjusting to my Invisalign at first because I had a huge expander for my upper arch for 5 months before I got my Invisalign going so it was just nice not to have to deal with that thing anymore.

You'll get the hang of it though. :) Now that I've had my trays for a few months, I'll notice that every once and a while I'll have a speech problem when I take my trays out for meals, hehe.

John37

#3 Post by John37 »

You get used to it after a week or two. I especially noticed slurring my speech when I tried to talk loud or fast. Also, when on the phone and not talking loud I don't open my mouth enough and my tongue doesn't have enough space to move around, so my words aren't clear. It's not really a problem though since I am aware of it and can adjust now.

avl

#4 Post by avl »

yeah- you get used to them...but im on my last few trays and i still have a lisp from time to time- esp if i have to raise my voice. a few people notice but not many..

24braceface

#5 Post by 24braceface »

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm still lisping. How long am I able to keep the trays out each day? I'm an actress and of course the trays are getting in my way. So far I only take the trays out for about 30 minutes a day. I've cut down on my eating (which is a plus)

avl

#6 Post by avl »

in my case the first 3 days were important to have them in pretty much all the time- after that first week i could slack just a bit.

HeatherS

#7 Post by HeatherS »

My speech problem went away almost immediately. I remember when I first put them in at the doctor's office I felt like I was wearing one of those teeth guards that boxer's wear. I couldn't imagine ever being able to talk the same. However, I work on the phones all day and by the next day I had my speaking down pretty well. I really did try to speak more clearly than I ever have before, so that obviously helped. At my job I have to monitor at least 4 calls every month with my manager and the first month after getting invisalign I was really nervous because I thought I would sound horrible on the phone. When listening to my calls there was absolutely no noticeable difference in the sound of my voice. Even if you notice your voice sounding different it's never as bad to others as you think.

dojo

#8 Post by dojo »

I still have a very slight lisp, but it's impossible for me to have it (i'm a radio dj and diction should be flawless). Since I have a 1 hour show I take the aligners off and then put them back after the show. Otherwise that very small problems with diction are not a problem. If it wasn't for my job I wouldn't care at all, but I can't have anything less than perfect diction (otherwise I might lose the job)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

sandra

#9 Post by sandra »

I always had a problem with the top tray. If I needed to speak a lot, I would just remove it.

MeganSingsDaBlues

#10 Post by MeganSingsDaBlues »

I got my first set of trays yesterday. Last night I sang with my band and tonight I'm gigging again. No one noticed I had them in and I sing with these folks 3 or 4 nights a week...so I'm thinking the lisp is something only you notice. I notice it when I sing...but no one else does...

jk

#11 Post by jk »

Hi, I feel the same way, that I will never speak without a lisp while I have these in. I got mine last Thursday, its now Tuesday and I have had no improvement with my speech. Does this really get better, has any one not have it get better? I have been trying to practice talking as much as possible but it doesn't seem to get any better.

lomdogs

#12 Post by lomdogs »

jk- I have had mine for two weeks and I still speak funny. Mostly it's when I am talking a lot (I am a teacher, so this is always) and when my mouth is dry. I have had several people ask me if I am wearing them because of my speech. I cannot get my s's right because I cannot get my tongue to go in the right place. Part of that is because my tongue is so badly cut up from the attachments so it hurts to thrust it as you need to for certain sounds. I wonder if each individual's teeth makes a difference. I think once my tongue is healed (hopefully soon!!) and I don't have the dry mouth over salivating thing, it will get better. I have only had mine two weeks, and my good friends on this message board have told me to give it a month. :)

24braceface

#13 Post by 24braceface »

Update: My speech is still altered by the trays. I'm sure I'll get used to them soon enough.

lomdogs

#14 Post by lomdogs »

I am sorry 24braceface that your speech is still a problem. I had Back to School Night last Friday and I figured I would tell the parents about my invisalign because I knew I'd be speaking funny, and then I realized I no longer speak with a lisp!! :D I still have a bit of the dry mouth and every afternoon when I prepare to read to the children, I get a water bottle and then I am ready. So much better. By the way, the tongue has healed as well. Guess three weeks was the key to my adjustment period.