65 and Getting Braced

Did you start your own braces diary at another website or blog? Tell everyone about it here, and make a link to its web address.

Moderator: bbsadmin

YankeeFan62

65 and Getting Braced

#1 Post by YankeeFan62 »

Ready or not I am 65 and getting braces for the first time ever. My Orthodontist said I would start with just the top so that I could get used to them. I have several gaps on the top and crowding on the bottom. I also have a crossbite with 1 tooth on the top. Does anyone think I will have more than just braces on the top (and later bottom)?

Aler58

Re: 65 and Getting Braced

#2 Post by Aler58 »

Good for you! I am 59 and got my braces on in March of this year.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

YankeeFan62 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 pm Ready or not I am 65 and getting braces for the first time ever. My Orthodontist said I would start with just the top so that I could get used to them. I have several gaps on the top and crowding on the bottom. I also have a crossbite with 1 tooth on the top. Does anyone think I will have more than just braces on the top (and later bottom)?
With your crossbite you will probably also need elastics, eventually. Your orthodontist should have mentioned this possibility (mine surely did). They can cause soreness for a few days, but you get used to them. I wore elastics for almost six months for my class 2 (overjet) bite. My orthodontist took me off them the last time, so I feel almost "free" wearing "just braces" now! :lol: :lol: :lol: It's like being in a car without wearing a seatbelt. I can only imagine what it will feel like to be brace-free!

YankeeFan62

#4 Post by YankeeFan62 »

All my orthodontist said was that I would have braces for 2 years. I know that is only a tentative date. I did not sign any papers as my regular dentist has some work to do first. My orthodontist is in the process of talking to my regular dentist so that we can formulate a plan. The date for my upper braces has not been confirmed yet pending the discussion between my dentist and the orthodontist.

I was afraid I would eventually have elastics.

kojo

#5 Post by kojo »

never is too late. good luck yankee. dont care too much about the time of treatment. as long as you see the improvement you will be ok

leprechaun

#6 Post by leprechaun »

Good luck on your new braces! If anything, it will be act as a cool conversation starter. :)

Speck

#7 Post by Speck »

Estimated length of treatment for moi was 18-20 months with elastics throughout the time. I had been kinda worried about elastics and asked the ortho if, indeed, it would be necessary to have them over the entire course of treatment. The answer was an immediate "yes". As it turns out in my case, they're not really all that bad.

Good luck with your treatment!
-Andy

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

Yep, and as I discovered, even if you wear elastics for a time and then are taken off them, it's entirely possible to be put back on them later! That's what happened to me. After wearing elastics for 6ish months, I was taken off them for 6 weeks. My bite started to regress (overjet), so I am now back in elastics. First three weeks, class 2 elastics (heavy), and then he added triangles (for my slightly open bite), medium weight, one week ago. So I now have a total of four elastics. It was quite uncomfortable for the first 48 hours but is fine now, six days later.

I expect I'll wear elastics up until debracing (maybe 6 weeks from now), and that is fine with me. Whatever it takes! :D