alexa's orthodontic livejournal - Braces are off!

Did you start your own braces diary at another website or blog? Tell everyone about it here, and make a link to its web address.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alexa

#106 Post by alexa »

Granola -- Thanks for keeping up with my story! Yeah...I wish the breathing thing worked for me when it comes to molds too. I mean, the bottom one was okay....but that top one...I thought I was going to have a panic attack. :lol: I too think the joy of being debanded will make me forget all imperfections....I can hardly imagine it....I'll be able to bite stuff...and eat salad without it getting lodged in my hardware...I can hardly wait! :D

KK -- Yeah, like you've gathered from my recent posts, I don't know how I deal with them either. lol. The asst. isn't really that bad. I think she thought she was trying to save me money by keeping me from wasting it on designer retainers...little did she know that all I've been thinking about for the last year is what kind of retainer to get! :wink:

I thought you'd like the retainer choice! :D
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

alexa

#107 Post by alexa »

I will be glad to be rid of them....but not on July 30th, the 26th.

The 26th is my magical, happy day. 8)

alexa

#108 Post by alexa »

Meryaten -- Yeah, those WD characters are something else. I can't believe I'll be mostly rid of them in a mere week! As for what arch the nightguard is being made for, I have no idea. She didn't describe it to me, nor show me an example or go into any detail (big surprise), and I didn't ask. I was just so thrilled at the idea of getting debonded that grilling her didn't even cross my mind. Retainers on the brain can do that to a person! :wink:

At any rate, I'm not surprised they aren't letting my molars settle. It just fits right into my experience at this place. They don't ever quite do anything the way you would expect them to.

And thanks....I bet I'll be so jazzed to be rid of the rest of this hardware, that any imperfections will vanish from my mind. Really, I think the only reason it bothers me as much as it does is the fiasco that came of me bringing the problem up in the first place. Just seems ridiculous. Anyway, I should be through the 7th Harry Potter book for the second time by my debanding day, so I will still be all about Harry Potter...no time to dedicate to silly rotated incisors!

linda21 -- Yes, next week roll on! I'm excited, you? 8)

strugglebuggy

#109 Post by strugglebuggy »

Alexa......

Are you getting :jump: :banana: :-* EXCITED :-* :banana: :jump: ???

alexa

#110 Post by alexa »

You bet I'm excited! :banana: :-88 :-)o :-*

About two hours ago I gave Western Dental a call. The assistant two weeks ago had told me to make sure I call the day before debanding to check if my retainers were in. Like all things with Western Dental, this wasn't easy. The first time I called, they left me on hold so long, that my phone, which only had a little charge in it, died before they came back on. Then, I call again with a different phone, and they leave me on even longer....and then THAT PHONE dies. I called back and they put me on hold again. Finally, they come back on the phone and ask, "What's your name again?" I sigh, tell them, and she sort of goes, "Hmmm..." I ask if she wantes me to spell it for her...she declines. I hear her muttering, "Alexa Ortiz..." I'm thinking, 'what? they alphabatize by the FIRST name there? :?' Then she comes back on and says, "So, wait...can you spell it for me?" :shock: :x :roll:

After this, she locates my retainers and tells me that they are in fact in house and I'm all set for tomorrow.

Next, I called up my dentist. I must tell you that I'm awful. I was supposed to have a cleaning back in January....but my then ortho had told me I was getting my braces off super soon, so I postponed the cleaning. I'm pretty tight on cash, and I couldn't afford to pay for a cleaning when I'd have to turn around in a month and get another one. Then, the new ortho comes and my braces don't come off for another six months. It's been an entire year since I've had my teeth cleaned! :shock: :oops:

Anyway, I had been putting off this dentist call until I was absolutely positive that the braces would be coming off tomorrow. With the confirmation that my retainers were in, I figured it was safe. I called up, figuring they'd get me in next week or so. The lady answers, checks the schedule and tells me they can see me tomorrow at 3pm! Talk about quick!

So that's the story. Getting the braces off tomorrow at 9am, grabbing a quick, crunchy/chewy lunch and then on to the dentist for a good scrub at 3pm.

Pictures to follow! 8)

Caroline

#111 Post by Caroline »

Best of luck today Alexa. Enjoy your new found freedom! :-* :-V :-88 :thumbsup: :jump: :rawk: :dance: :jokerlaugh: :banana: :HugeGrin:
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

alexa

#112 Post by alexa »

Thanks, Linda and Caroline!

I just updated the livejournal....and wow...it is a LONG post.

Just thought I'd warn ya! :wink:

strugglebuggy

#113 Post by strugglebuggy »

Looking good, Alexa! :) I'm still jealous...lol. :D Have fun with your new found freedom! Keep checking in and soon you'll see my debanding post, hopefully! :)

alexa

#114 Post by alexa »

Thanks stugglebuggy! :D

I will continue to watch for your happy post! 8)

strugglebuggy

#115 Post by strugglebuggy »

thanks!

alexa

#116 Post by alexa »

I am pretty stoked. I am loving this brace free, pretty teeth thing! 8)

When I look back at those before shots, I just sit and wonder why i waited so long to do this. It's made such a difference.

The kitty decal is the exact same one. I originally wanted to swipe Meryaten's whole idea, as they were sooo cool...but when I went to the ortho, I didn't like their rainbow option very much, so I went with purple. Then I decided to get a decal. Most of them were lame, but then I saw the kitty and decided to go for it. I've seen that kitty decal on many option sheets for various labs online....I'm wondering exactly how popular our kitty is in the world of retention.

I have no idea why I need to wear the retainer so much. It's their standard policy. I think they tell you a time that long so at least you might wear it for half of that. :P