Unique adult braces blog! :)

Did you start your own braces diary at another website or blog? Tell everyone about it here, and make a link to its web address.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dbala

Unique adult braces blog! :)

#1 Post by dbala »

My name is DIvya, I'm a 23 yo female with skeletal open bite and a posterior crossbite. I just started my orthodontic journey with various devices and braces. I've started a blog to track share my progress along the way including photos, appointment summaries etc!

Hope you'll follow along at http://smileofsteel.weebly.com

I had Phase 1 braces as an early teen and was told that jaw surgery was the only way to correct my open bite and narrow arch fully. I never intended to do the surgery as it's just not a comfortable option for me. Over the last year I decided to revisit orthodontics as my jaw has started to feel a bit strained. I went on 20+ orthodontic consults and everyone told me the same thing- I had to have surgery to correct both issues. I wasn't ready to accept that so I did my own thorough research for 3-4 months until I found two relatively new technologies (there's not too many studies published on either) that should eliminate the need for jaw surgery in my case altogether, if they work as anticipated. I found a special palate expander called MARPE that is able to "unlock" and widen a mature adult's maxillary bone to correct crossbite. I then saw that a combination of TAD mini-implants and elastics can facilitate the closure of an open bite by intruding/extruding teeth to fix the occlusal angle. Then I found a research university close to me that actually uses MARPE (most orthodontic practices haven't even heard of it yet), and after a consult have started my orthodontic treatment with them. Disclaimer: I am not an orthodontist and do not claim to be an authority on any orthodontic issues. Everything I share is from my own personal research (I'm pretty good at it, if I say so myself!) and my own experience.

impec

Re: Unique adult braces blog! :)

#2 Post by impec »

Nice ! I read your blog and it's really well documented. I'm in the same situatikn and I'm looking for an experienced orthodontist with TADS. Never heard of MARPE and I don't even think people are aware of it in Canada. Keep up the good work !

dbala

#3 Post by dbala »

impec wrote:Nice ! I read your blog and it's really well documented. I'm in the same situatikn and I'm looking for an experienced orthodontist with TADS. Never heard of MARPE and I don't even think people are aware of it in Canada. Keep up the good work !
Hiya!! Thank you- good to know my blog is helpful :) It's quite surprising more orthodontists don't use TADs- they've been around since the early 2000s. I think.. And they make the treatment more efficient as well. Sadly I think unless it's a research university or dental school, orthodontists don't often bother with continued education and learning the latest techniques and technologies out there. MARPE is pretty new, I *think* it's only been around since around 2008/9? (I could be wrong). I wish more people knew it exists so it could be used more instead of resorting to surgery!! I need to post some updates on the blog as I've had a few appointments since my last post. Stay tuned! :)

impec

#4 Post by impec »

Good to know ! I can't wait to see the updates !

dbala

#5 Post by dbala »

To anyone following- just posted some updates on my blog about my MARPE installation, and will be putting up more posts this weekend! :D
http://smileofsteel.weebly.com

jasv

#6 Post by jasv »

I can't wait to see the updates!