Surgery in about a year...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sillikitti

Surgery in about a year...

#1 Post by sillikitti »

I just got my braces put on yesterday and as part of my treatment my ortho recommends bottom jaw surgery in about a year. But before that I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled. They haven't even come through my gums yet. I was talking with the woman who put my ligs on and she had jaw surgery too and said it was nothing. She said the hardest part was walking into the operating room. I also heard from a few people that the jaw surgery was less painful than the wisdom teeth extractions. Anyone else think so? Funny, I am not too worried about the wisdom teeth because I know so many folks who have had them out.

TheUnk311

#2 Post by TheUnk311 »

I've had my braces on for about a month now. I need lower jaw surgery in about 8 months. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago. If the jaw surgery does not include 4 bleeding holes in my gums that need gause changed out for a few days, I'll be happy. That was probably the worse part.. I had no swelling/bruising whatsoever.

I think the recovery from jaw surgery is a lot longer though.. I didn't like laying in bed for a few days from the wisdom teeth removal, would hate to be stuck there for weeks.

geekgirl

#3 Post by geekgirl »

God, I hope it's easier! I too will be having lower jaw surgery in the future. I had my wisdoms out a few years ago, and had no problems whatsoever with them, but they were already erupted and had relatively straight roots.

My oral surgeon told me the pain would only last for about 4 days, and i'd be up and about in a week, and should only need 2 weeks total off from work.
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

Svensk Tiger

#4 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I'll be having upper and lower jaw surgery in about a year, although hopefully a bit less. It's nice to know that there's other people who will be going through this at the same time, there's nothing worse than feeling alone in this kind of thing!

peanut

#5 Post by peanut »

I had my wisdom teeth during jaw surgery. (upper, lower and genio). Is there a possibility they could do that with you, or do you need your teeth out in advance, so they have more room in your mouth?

Because I had my teeth out during surgery, I never even really knew I had them out. I was on liquids for 2 weeks after, and my mouth was banded shut. By the time I could take the bands off to eat, the wisdom teeth holes had healed enough that I didn't have to worry about them at all.

Maybe you could talk to your surgeon about having your teeth out at the same time as jaw surgery?

Good luck...
peanut
Braced: September 23, 2004
Surgery: September 13, 2005

sillikitti

#6 Post by sillikitti »

Hmm...well aparently the surgeon has to work in the area where my wisdom teeth are and that's why they need to be pulled first. Nothing like getting them pulled, having them heal, then re-opening the holes *cringe*

ryno1086

surgery 5 days ago...

#7 Post by ryno1086 »

hey there!!
I just had lower jaw surgery 5 days ago.. and im well on my way back to recovering! I had an underbite and for the first time in 19 years i can say i have a NORMAL bite! its a great thing! yes, people compared the surgery to wisodom teeth, and they are very similar but also different. the pain i felt was pretty much equal to be honest, but im sure the jaw can very in pain with the what exactly they are doin with it, and i was fortunate enough to NOT have it wired shut, which im sure that would probably have put a worse spin on things!! i am probably not much help, BUT i can give you pointers once then come to me, as i said its hasnt even been a week and im still quite swollen... oh yes.. i was alot more swollen then wisdome teeth!! but if you have preop questions give me a shout!!
later
ryan..