Canadian Insurance

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smile

#16 Post by smile »

Same ol' same ol' here in BC too - paying for me surgeons fees and orthodontics all out of my pockets. Aboot $17,000.

And hmm, there's a ferry to Langley now? Intersting.. I've only taken the ferry to Victoria. (feels dumb) My god, I sound like a tourist and I've been here for 10 years.

The port mann's a lovely bridge isn't it? I used to mix it up with the other one all the time.. the other orange one.. what was its name again? Anyhoo, aren't they twinning the port mann a few years down the road? Or doing something else to make the traffic better?
But I don't like the other bridge much better either.. (sorry, I'm bad with names) the one that's all narrow.. alexander something? Someone must know what I'm talking about here ;P

geekgirl

#17 Post by geekgirl »

Well, this is definitely getting a little offtopic, but to answer your questions...

The ferry is a tiny car ferry that takes about 15 cars at a time across from Fort Langley to Maple Ridge. To the east of that is the Abby-Mission bridge csblackburn was talking about. To the west of the little ferry is the Port Mann (on Hwy #1, the TransCanada) and yes, the plan is to twin that in the near future. The ferry will also be replaced by a toll "Golden Ears" bridge sometime in future. Continuing west, we have the Patuello (sp?) bridge, the "other orange bridge". Then there's the Alex Fraser Bridge (Hwy #91), and finally the George Massey Tunnel (Hwy #99). I think I've covered all the crossings, for the Fraser at least ;)

Building a large urban area on two sides of a large river (the Fraser River, for those not from around here) makes traffic a real nighmare. What should be a 20 minute drive can easily become 1 hour 20 if there's a bad accident, or some crazy jumper...
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

tofino

Stuff

#18 Post by tofino »

Hi.

Bridges, traffic, noise, pollution... (shudder). As you can tell I've been out here in the boondocks a while. My Langdale ferry hop is 35 minutes over to Horseshoe Bay.

So with regard to surgery, may I be so bold to ask if anybody out there in the Lower Mainland had their surgery done, or will have it done, by Dr. W.? Please contact me privately, because I'm turning my eyes next toward the procedure, and it would settle my mind a lot if I hear what I hope to hear from his current or former patients. My ortho came highly recommended (and I now understand why), but I've heard basically nothing about the surgeon.

I hope this request is appropriate - I saw no proscription against this in the rules.

Thanks and Cheers

smile

#19 Post by smile »

Ooh, thanks for clearing all that up. I'm really not a tourist haha but I haven't been driving very long so.. I have an excuse. =)

When are you roughly scheduled for surgery geekgirl? We're all stuck in the same boat it seems.. and it's nice to have some company.

smile

#20 Post by smile »

oops, double post.

geekgirl

#21 Post by geekgirl »

LOL... that Rick Mercer special was comedy gold! But us Canadians get way to many kicks out of american's canadian ignorance. It's almost a pastime... (Heck, I was once in California on a band trip as a teenager, and my friends and I convinced a shop owner we really did live in igloos, were really excited about just getting AM radio, and told the tragic story of how my brother just recently lost a leg to frostbite!)

Back on topic... My surgery will probably be approx 18 months after I get braces... so not for a long while yet. I'll get a banding date after I choose a treatment plan, and my oral surgeon has a month long waiting list.
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

peanut

#22 Post by peanut »

I did the same thing on a band trip to Boston, but instead of telling the frostbite story, we told them about seal-hunting in detail (all made up on the spot, of course), and about our dogsleds, and about how excited we were to be in Boston where people used cars instead of Skidoos.

Back on topic - good luck with choosing a treatment plan!
Braced: September 23, 2004
Surgery: September 13, 2005