1 month post op and confused

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klee

1 month post op and confused

#1 Post by klee »

Exactly 1 month ago, I had upper surgery (to reduce gummy smile) and chin moved forward. I have a narrow palate and the surgeon, who came highly recommended, said during my last appointment before the surgery that he was not sure if he was going to do the procedure that expands the upper jaw. he said he would talk to my ortho and they would decide whether they thought it should be done. Well, he did not wind up doing it and I was kind of disappointed. I just figured if I was going to get the surgery done, I might as well fix everything. WHen i went to my orthodontist a few days ago, he seemed somewhat confused with the fact that I did not have the expansion done, though he did not really say it. I could tell that there was some lack of communication between the two. My question is, why would the OS decide not to do it? My palate is not super narrow but it is narrow. Also, I know I have a while for my jaw to heal but once everything is totally healed, do u think a palate expander could be put in at least to widen my arch. I am 27 and I understand how it probably won't widen the palate at my age but might push the teeth out some more. Is this something that can be done after surgery. i have had braces for 9 months and had surgery just 1 month ago.