Evolution from Neanderthal to Homo Sapien :)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wizard

Evolution from Neanderthal to Homo Sapien :)

#1 Post by wizard »

Hey guys,

Great to see that there are lots of adults with braces out there ;) I'm 21 and about 8months ago I discovered I had a slight under bite (The Neanderthal look) as my lower jaw is slightly protruding, it's not too severe but my bottom and top teeth touch with the bottom ones slightly forward to compensate and bunching up. :cry:

I initially went to a Maxillo Facial Surgeon and of course he suggested I get an operation to align my lower jaw with my upper one.
:shock: This would mean that I would have to get braces for about 1year to move my lower teeth a little forward to give me a real bulldog bite and then via maxillo facial surgery move my lower jaw back so my lower teeth rest behind the upper ones for a more 'normal bite'
I think I also need post-operation braces to make sure the teeth stay in position... Some dentists have told me i really dont need the operation and if i do it it's just for cosmetics, even the health care is saying it's cosmetics only...

I just went in today for Spacers (those little pieces of plastic) and they are already irritating me, feels like I have food stuck in my teeth and it's already beginning to hurt... :x
I read the Ceramic or Metal article and I found it very informative! I am not certain which braces to go with, I don’t have a severe problem and it seems I’m going with the Ceramic ones, I am of course concerned about the staining and what I’ve heard that it takes a bit longer than the metal ones. Is this true??? My orthodontist assured me they are pretty much the same..... :/

I wasn’t really given options for the other ones (maybe my ortho hasn’t heard of the other types of braces like invisalign/sapphire/in-ovation)??

Has anyone had this kind of operation and has any experiences to relate to with what the operation was like and what kind of braces were best? I'd also like to know about what the experiece of putting and taking the braces off as well as operation recovery was :D

Thanks go out to all you brave people 8) and to archwired for a great site when i was googling in my most desperate state :D
The path of least resistance seldom lies beyond your doorstep...

wizard

#2 Post by wizard »

Hey Meryaten,

Thanks for the reply :) I've been reading up everywhere on this stuff and i think i'm pretty informed. I've learnt though that no matter how informed you are things still crop up...

I guess i'm going to go with the Ceramic ones, they are the best for aesthetics and for the cost... How much does it cost to get those elastics replaced though if they get stained or is it mandatory that they are replaced with every alignment... ?

Someone else privated me via MSN (carly) i think but i didnt get that persons MSN Details so if you read this (whoever you are) you are welcome to add me to your contacts so i can add you to mine :) haha
</public anouncement>
;-)

What do you guys think of this though?
http://www.sixmonthbraces.com/ :?

I found it by following various other sites from Dr Rick and i think a few others. I even entered the Doctors only section (Thanks to google.com) but there wasnt much information in there either just some seminars. It sounds very enticing but i have a feeling it's just a scam... :lol:
The path of least resistance seldom lies beyond your doorstep...