Vertical Maxillary Excess Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jonora

Vertical Maxillary Excess Surgery

#1 Post by Jonora »

I have a gummy smile due to Vertical Maxillary Excess. I have been considering surgery to correct this - reducing the length of my top jaw??? Does anyone know exactly how the procedure is done? The pain? Recovery time? Side effects? Costs? Do I have to be put to sleep? Will I have to stay at a hospital? Is it like have your wisdom teeth surgically extracted where you have to eat soft foods for awhile? Sorry for all of the questions; I just want to make sure I make the right decision for me =) Thanks!!!
Braces On: 3/8/05
Teeth Extracted: 4/25/05
Wires Back On: 5/4/05

Dr. Randall

#2 Post by Dr. Randall »

This surgery involves cutting out a section of the maxilla to shorten the height of the midface. The cut is made just above the roots of the maxillary teeth and a segment of bone the thickness of the desired reduction is removed and the remaining pieces are reattached with plates and screws.

As far as the difficulty of the surgery, maxillary surgeries are alway more likely to have extended healing time and more potential complications. Usually at least an overnight stay in the hospital is required afterwards and you can count on around 6 weeks of healing.

To make a good decision, go talk with an oral surgeon and an orthodontist to get all the facts relating to your case.

Randall