Do I Look Worse After Surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aprkid

Do I Look Worse After Surgery?

#1 Post by aprkid »

Hi, I had BSSO about 2-3 years ago. I’m posting here because I can’t bring myself to like the results because of how drastic the changes are to my face. I don’t know what I should do.

Could anyone explain why the change was so drastic? The lower jaw was moved forward 5mm on one side, 6mm on the other. I just don’t get why my face looks so much wider and longer than before. What’s up with that?

Did my surgeon have some sort of special cut that he used to move the jaw forward in a certain way? I remember him hinting one time that if he were to do my surgery, he himself would have to remove my wisdom teeth as well because he does it in a certain way to make “room” for something. Not sure what that meant or whether that’s relevant or not.

I’m upset because I used to get much more compliments about how my face looked before surgery and I’m noticing honestly … I don’t get treated the same way? I thought the surgery would enhance my looks but instead I feel like it made me look very average…. It’s odd I don’t get treated with the same respect anymore and it’s making me feel upset. I noticed that my face holds much more fat than it used to even when I’m losing weight.

I also noticed my hair has thinned significantly after the surgery, which I’m shocked about. Maybe that could be a contributing factor? I used to have really thick hair …

I feel like there was too much downward growth with the BSSO, and it ended up lengthening my face which makes it look too boxy. I think the problem was too much anti-clockwise rotation on the mandible? I’ve seen other BSSO results that don’t look as drastic so I’m not sure what happened to mine. I only wanted my lower jaw to meet my upper lip … lol

Could anyone give me their feedback on my results? Looking for honest opinions. I get very emotional when I look back at my old photos. I feel like I ruined a face that was good before - I only needed the braces. How do I reverse this?

Before (collection of photos from when I was young (no braces) all the way up to surgery)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/5wh1fdh9 ... 86rq8&dl=0

After (post-op and 1-2 years after)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k43kyph2aslc ... nHKAa?dl=0

snapdresser

Re: Do I Look Worse After Surgery?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

In the second before and after picture (the .docx one), the before is on the left (above the braces pic) and the after is on the right, correct?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018