Getting Double Jaw surgery in a few weeks

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kiki251

Getting Double Jaw surgery in a few weeks

#1 Post by kiki251 »

Hey'all!!!

I am new to this blog and found it when I was looking up how much time I need off from work following my double jaw surgery which I am getting done in March.
I have been focused on getting everything in line that I didn't have time to be anxious, but now that I have a date and time off from work it is becoming real.
My Orthodontist is making his final referral next week and then I would go through the insurance approval and other stuff.
I guess my questions would be... how Long does it take for insurance authorisation on average. ( I have Aetna-- does anyone have any experience going through them)
Also I got 4 weeks off from work, (Only because I asked for 4 and now I'm thinking maybe I should've asked for more), is that a good amount of time for recovery?

thanks

snapdresser

Re: Getting Double Jaw surgery in a few weeks

#2 Post by snapdresser »

Welcome Kiki! I’m not sure about the insurance timing as that part was pretty opaque for me. I would guess it takes a week or 2 after it’s submitted, but I’m not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in who had a more transparent experience. Sometimes insurance companies ask for additional supporting info or initially deny the claim and require an appeal, which would add to the timeline. I don’t recall how good Aetna is at approving orthognathic surgery the first time around.

4 weeks off from work will probably be ok. That’s about how long I was off and I was ready to be out and about by then. A lot of your swelling will be down and you won’t look like you’ve been in a car crash. I had strong elastics on that prevented me from opening my mouth which made it difficult to project my voice, but I seem to be an exception. I think 4 weeks is enough for most folks. Some go back after 2 weeks but I don’t know how they do it lol

Again, welcome to Archwired!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018