Hate jaw surgery results!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Whattodo

Hate jaw surgery results!!!

#1 Post by Whattodo »

I had upper jaw surgery and genioplasty 2 years ago. My maxilla was moved up and forward. I am pleased with the genioplasty as my chin is smaller in height which is what I wanted but am deeply unhappy with the results of the jaw. My features look squashed, cheeks very full and my mandible has rotated up a lot. I wonder if I have been over impacted. Before surgery when smiling to fullest I showed gum now when smiling to fullest I don't show the top of my upper teeth.

My surgeon has brushed off concerns. Not sure what to do as I am in UK and options are limited for revision.

SpeakingUpJ

Re: Hate jaw surgery results!!!

#2 Post by SpeakingUpJ »

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear that your jaw surgery didn’t turn out well. My little sister is also struggling with the results of her jaw surgery. And it’s highly unlikely that she’ll be able to undergo a revision.

I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone. And I hope you find answers and everything turns out well

snapdresser

Re: Hate jaw surgery results!!!

#3 Post by snapdresser »

If you don’t see the top of your teeth when smiling your biggest, then you were probably over-impacted. Likely not by much, but as they say, “millimeters are the miles of the face”. The “ideal” is 1-2mm gum show when smiling your biggest. That said, it still looks normal to others if you don’t show any gum when smiling, and short faces are considered attractive. I’m in the same boat in that I have zero gum show when smiling now. I’m sure it’s very jarring for you, but I would say that it may still be a positive aesthetic outcome from the perspective of the average person on the street and depending on what you looked like going in. A revision in such cases is usually ill-advised, but that’s something you can push with your surgeon or another one and see if they talk you out of it.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018