Jaw surgery worst nightmare come true

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SpeakingUpJ

Jaw surgery worst nightmare come true

#1 Post by SpeakingUpJ »

Hi,

Im in desperate need of guidance.

Please help…my little sister underwent double jaw surgery for an overbite back in July 2021 (she was 16yrs old at the time) She is now 8 months in and is having serious problems with mastication, severe joint pain , and we are afraid the surgery might have caused TMJ. She was a Class II, but after the surgery her bite seemed too off, it looks like she is a class III. The immoral surgeon won’t admit it that he left her bite a Class III. The surgeon made us believe that everything would get fix with orthodontist and sent her back to ortho and now everything is a whole mess. We are so worried and freaking out, and just not sure what to do next

Please please give us some advice

Kweberchicken

Re: Jaw surgery worst nightmare come true

#2 Post by Kweberchicken »

Good Morning from Albuquerque, New Mexico: I am 63, and I have a severe overbite. I swallow with difficulty. I use a CPAP machine and mouth guard. I went to an orthodontist, and she said braces would not help. She is referring me to an oral and maxillary surgeon. Am I too old for this? Is it worth it at my age?

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

I’m not sure what you mean by “too old”. You might heal up a bit slower than others but I don’t know that that should be a show-stopper for you. Similarly, nobody can tell you whether or not it’s worth it for you. It’s a personal decision based on the symptoms, risks, etc. That said, your symptoms seem pretty significant and I think you may get some relief through the surgery. I would discuss it with a surgeon and see if they can help you make your decision.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Lizzybae

#4 Post by Lizzybae »

Hello, I’m in the same position. I had double jaw surgery Dec, 2021 and am seeking a 2nd opinion because my OS destroyed my face.
He misaligned my jaw to the right by 4 mm. I only can slightly move my lower jaw to the right and when I move it to the left it goes forward pass my upper teeth (think cross bite) When I open my mouth my lower jaw shifts to the right (not straight down). I’m over 4 months in recovery and I only can open my mouth 2 fingers.
He convinced me to move my top jaw back even though I didn’t want to and in my opinion wasn’t medically necessary so now it’s misaligned to the right and my philtrum (base of your nose to the top of your mouth) has been elongated due to this. He never explained the outcome of what it meant to push my top jaw back even though I kept asking him will happen.
For two years I told him I don’t want to move top jaw. With Invisalign and then braces this surgery was 2 years in the making. then 2 weeks prior to surgery I agreed to 1 to 1.5 mm back he pushed it 2mm (at least that what he says, who knows). At this point I can’t trust anything he says.

He gaslighted / denied about anything being wrong when clearly there was. After he removed my splint he proceeded to gaslight me that my midline was centered to the point I would stare at the mirror and wonder how does he not see it. I couldn’t believe how he cold heartily would just lie to my face. It was clear to my orthodontist that my midline was off centered. He continued to lie that everything was aligned when it wasn’t. He started using ortho rubber bands to shift my top midline to the center which caused a gap between my front and side teeth. My right top side has canted that the top and bottom teeth don’t touch. My bottom midline is not aligned and my OS now has abandoned me.

My appointment last week, he told me if he could go back i time he would never have touched my top jaw. (Great how does that help me now, does anyone have a time machine?) He keeps pushing for me to get revision surgery but i refuse to have him touch my face. There is something going on with my neck. I think bc my lower jaw is not aligned that it’s stretching the skin on my neck to the left.

To make matters worse, the stress of it all is causing me hair loss bc I have so much anxiety from it. I can’t even look at myself in the mirror.

I’m in the process to look for another OS for a 2nd opinion and to see what can be done. He ruined my beautiful face. All I needed was my lower jaw to be pushed forward.

I recommend you go for a 2nd/3rd opinion bc if your gut is telling you something is off it most likely is.

If I could go back, I would have stopped at Invisalign. Even though I was a class II overbite my smile was still beautiful. Now my teeth and face is misaligned to the point that everyone who seems me can tell something is off. The one who is suffering the most is my 9 yr old child bc I use to be so active and present, that he has noticed the mental toll this surgery and what the horrific OS has done to me.

I urge you to seek advise from another OS.

If anyone knows an OS in the SoCal (Orange County) that they would recommend, please let me know.

BlueTears

#5 Post by BlueTears »

Hi Lizzybae,

** I wrote this post about my little sister, but had to create a new account because my password wasn’t going through.

I feel your anguish. I know the emotional pain that you’re dealing with. So just know that you are not alone. We are all seeking answers and I pray that we all find a solution. Believe me seeing my little sister’s world turned upside down is heartbreaking. And makes me wish Time could be reverse also.

My sister and I learned the hard way that some doctors are just crooks and they will ruin a person’s life for financial gain without any remorse… such a tough thing to grasp, because doctors are supposed to heal not harm.

I’m doing research to find a surgeon that understands my sister’s case, and has the expertise, and is willing to help her gain functionality in her bite again. I’ve come across dismissive doctors, but I’m not giving up, there has to be at least one doctor that has vocation. And I’ll be sure to inform you if I find a decent revision surgeon.

***I’ll explain my sister’s case:

Right after my little sister’s surgery she was left with her upper-jaw caved in and her bottom-jaw was protruding forward excessively (her top front incisors were aligned with her bottom molars) An open-space between her upper and lower jaw (exactly like a Class III patient) which cause her mouth to stay open…she cannot close it fully or comfortably. She forces her lips together to appear like her mouth is close, but it just shows she’s straining to keep her lips together. A lisp and serious other problems… Severe pain in her tmj area, pain while chewing…headaches from this. Her mandible shifting from left to right (side to side) her jaw get tired from talking…she holds her jaw because it feels overworked from just speaking.

One of the people that gave me hope is a guy (iamamused) on here whose post I read.
His post: Tips, Tricks, and Comments - From a guy who’s done jaw surgery TWICE!
He was able to have a revision and a solution for his problem, so that brought some light back into my mind.

I’ll be sure to let you know about any good info I find, and if you come across any OS in your area that helps with revision cases please let me know.

Have a blessed day

Lizzybae wrote:
> Hello, I’m in the same position. I had double jaw surgery Dec, 2021 and
> am seeking a 2nd opinion because my OS destroyed my face.
> He misaligned my jaw to the right by 4 mm. I only can slightly move my
> lower jaw to the right and when I move it to the left it goes forward pass
> my upper teeth (think cross bite) When I open my mouth my lower jaw shifts
> to the right (not straight down). I’m over 4 months in recovery and I only
> can open my mouth 2 fingers.
> He convinced me to move my top jaw back even though I didn’t want to and
> in my opinion wasn’t medically necessary so now it’s misaligned to the
> right and my philtrum (base of your nose to the top of your mouth) has been
> elongated due to this. He never explained the outcome of what it meant to
> push my top jaw back even though I kept asking him will happen.
> For two years I told him I don’t want to move top jaw. With Invisalign and
> then braces this surgery was 2 years in the making. then 2 weeks prior to
> surgery I agreed to 1 to 1.5 mm back he pushed it 2mm (at least that what
> he says, who knows). At this point I can’t trust anything he says.
>
> He gaslighted / denied about anything being wrong when clearly there was.
> After he removed my splint he proceeded to gaslight me that my midline was
> centered to the point I would stare at the mirror and wonder how does he
> not see it. I couldn’t believe how he cold heartily would just lie to my
> face. It was clear to my orthodontist that my midline was off centered.
> He continued to lie that everything was aligned when it wasn’t. He started
> using ortho rubber bands to shift my top midline to the center which caused
> a gap between my front and side teeth. My right top side has canted that
> the top and bottom teeth don’t touch. My bottom midline is not aligned and
> my OS now has abandoned me.
>
> My appointment last week, he told me if he could go back i time he would
> never have touched my top jaw. (Great how does that help me now, does
> anyone have a time machine?) He keeps pushing for me to get revision
> surgery but i refuse to have him touch my face. There is something going
> on with my neck. I think bc my lower jaw is not aligned that it’s
> stretching the skin on my neck to the left.
>
> To make matters worse, the stress of it all is causing me hair loss bc I
> have so much anxiety from it. I can’t even look at myself in the mirror.
>
> I’m in the process to look for another OS for a 2nd opinion and to see what
> can be done. He ruined my beautiful face. All I needed was my lower jaw
> to be pushed forward.
>
> I recommend you go for a 2nd/3rd opinion bc if your gut is telling you
> something is off it most likely is.
>
> If I could go back, I would have stopped at Invisalign. Even though I was
> a class II overbite my smile was still beautiful. Now my teeth and face is
> misaligned to the point that everyone who seems me can tell something is
> off. The one who is suffering the most is my 9 yr old child bc I use to be
> so active and present, that he has noticed the mental toll this surgery and
> what the horrific OS has done to me.
>
> I urge you to seek advise from another OS.
>
> If anyone knows an OS in the SoCal (Orange County) that they would
> recommend, please let me know.