Midline off center after double jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lizzybae

Midline off center after double jaw surgery

#1 Post by Lizzybae »

Hello Everyone,

I decided after years of putting off jaw surgery to finally go for it. I started with a year of Invisalign and then a year of braces (top ceramic/bottom metal) and had my surgery this past December,2021. I am 37 days today post op so week 5. OS moved my bottom jaw forward about 5 to 6 mm. Ortho created spacing between both sides of my side front teeth (apologies not sure what that is called) bc OS was widening my top jaw and we wanted to minimize incisions and have braces do as much of the work as possible. Hence why I was a year in braces after already being a year in Invisalign.

At first I did not want OS to push back my top jaw (the 4 front teeth) but every time I saw OS, he kept recommending it and advising me to speak to my family (since they will be the most honest with me). So after much consideration and deliberation I decided to have my top jaw pushed back approx 2mm.

So I prayed to the higher universe, did yoga everyday to ease my mind, anxiety and tried to be as positive and good vibes only mentality. The day of surgery came and according to OS everything went as plan. Surgery was approx 4 to 5 hrs. The hour gap is bc OS said 5 hrs, assistant said 4 hrs.

I had a splint, wired shut and rubber bands for approx 4 weeks. I was on a liquid diet and couldn’t even speak. Day 5 post op I have my check up with OS and I notice him pushing my top lip back and observing my midline. I get home and do the same thing and notice my midline is off centered to the right.

Prior to surgery, my midline was completely centered and even aligned with my bottom thru Invisalign and braces. Now it’s off. So from day 5 and so forth you can imagine how hard its been healing when you are constantly fixated on your midline. OS assures me that with rubber bands my ortho will fix it. I have a visit with ortho on day 35 post op and says: rubber bands could only do so much and are limited and will reach out to OS.

I have a follow up with OS next week on week 6 post op. How do I handle this? Does this mean my entire jaw is off?

Please note that my top and bottom teeth midline are centered but it’s not aligned with my face. It’s off to the right in which from day one I felt the extreme of the pain mostly on my right side. To this day, I have most of the swelling and pain on my right side. Which X ray show there is a huge gap where he broke my bottom jaw on the right side.

Has anyone experienced this and how was it resolved? To learn to live with it is hard bc I didn’t go through all this to end up with a crooked smile. I can’t even think about revision and put my elementary school child through all this again. How hard this surgery is on us. It’s even harder on your child and person taking care of you.

I’m struggling mostly because he never even mentioned the slight possibility that my midline would become off centered. I’m not sure how off it is. When I relax my face, my cupid bow is in the center of my left front teeth bc my entire jaw is off centered to the right.

I don’t know what to do. I’m trying to remain optimistic and not judge because I’m still swollen but I can’t help but wonder what does swelling have to do with your jaw being placed off centered.

Lizzybae

Re: Midline off center after double jaw surgery

#2 Post by Lizzybae »

Hello, thought I would update since tomorrow I’ll be 34 weeks post op. Still in braces and I’m in the process of getting revision surgery. I have to redo the whole entire surgery again. Both top and bottom.

My new OS reviewed new X rays and CT scans and determine I was misdiagnosed. My top jaw actually needs to be moved forward therefore my original OS should have never moved my top jaw back. It now needs to be moved forward 3 mm and midline centered.

We are trying to determine how far back the original OS moved. My new OS called original OS and original OS told him that he did everything perfect and that I the patient messed it up. My new OS told him well you misdiagnosed because CT scans show top jaw needs to be moved forward and bottom jaw needs to be moved forward as well. New OS told me he is ridiculous bc how can I the patient mess up the surgery.

Its disheartening when he won’t take accountability for his misdiagnose and to learn that he detached my top jaw from my skeletal for no medical reason. That I went through all that for no medical reason nor for aesthetics. It doesn’t look appealing having my top jaw back bc it elongated my philtrum and I now have excessive gingival display (gummy smile).

Will keep you all posted as I move forward.