Lip incompetence and mouth breathing solution?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Magaliep

Lip incompetence and mouth breathing solution?

#1 Post by Magaliep »

which Surgery would help in my situation?

Mouth breathing from childhood

-mild class 2 skeletal relationship

-minor occlusal cant

-Incompetent lip-upper lip notably shorter than average. At rest 12mm from base of nose to end of upper lip.

Struggle to effortlessly close lips.

-strained mentalis muscle

-10 year old chin implant which has started to feel uncomfortable even painful at times and I would like to have it removed.

6 years of braces which had to be stopped due to reduction in the root length of upper central incisors due to wrong tongue posture ( resting against front teeth). I went to myofunctional therapy to fix that.

-good occlusal bite with molars premolar and canine area apart from mild crowding of upper central incisors and slight rotation.

The mouth breathing is causing a whole array of issues from headaches to enamel erosion and caries due to dry mouth. Apart from functionality I'm not happy with either profile tbh.

I have been advised to not have braces or Invisalign as the risk is too big and I tend to agree with that.

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

snapdresser

Re: Lip incompetence and mouth breathing solution?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

I would suggest that you see a qualified maxillofacial surgeon as nobody on this forum (to my knowledge) is qualified to recommend a surgical plan, unless perhaps they happened to be in the exact same situation as you. That said, I had lip incompetence before my orthographic surgery and the surgery alone didn’t fix it. I had to force myself to close my lips and breathe through my nose all day every day for months until I got used to it. I still have to mind my tongue posture and I’m several years post-op. When the air is dry I do still mouth-breathe occasionally, especially at night. Good luck!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018