Had SARPE with horrible recovery process

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lala123454321

Had SARPE with horrible recovery process

#1 Post by lala123454321 »

I had SAPRE + Lefort 1 + extraction of one tooth 8 months ago due to narrow upper archway but now im still having major issues.

The surgery went well but my central incisors were in alot of pain when putting any pressure on, I was assured this would go away. But then it got worse and I couldn't talk without being in pain, at this point the gap was starting to close but the gap was so BIG that the teeth were tipping sideways which is why I think it was hurting. So I was put on partial braces for the 6 front teeth with a passive wire that would act as splinting the teeth so that prevents the teeth from closing too fast, which is suppose to allow the teeth root to recover. It did work in the moment, and then months later when I got the expander off after the retention period, the teeth were still too sore to move. Even brushing lightly with a soft bristle would hurt, feels like nerve pain.

Then I got a CT scan that showed the midline splint hasn't healed and I had root inflammations and even evidence of root resorption that I would need to wait another 4-5 months before they can reassess. So this whole time I've just had a huge gap in my mouth because they can't start braces yet. Now, the teeth have gotten alot better, they don't hurt when brushing, but I still cant put any pressure on it like eat with my front teeth or anything like that.

I am wondering if anyone else had this happen to them? I've heard conflicting stories, some say its perfectly normal for the nerve to still be in pain months even years after the surgery but that it will heal on its own given enough time, some say I would need to get root canal? But even after getting root canal, would I still need to wait for a couple of months before they can move the teeth? Also not exactly sure how effective that would be? Also is there any downside to just perpetually bracing my teeth, like they are still held together with passive braces not allowed to close the gap. Besides, since the gap is so large, how would they even be able to close the gap, since there is already root inflammation and slight root resorption?

So right now I am just sitting with a huge gap in my mouth (1cm) and waiting for it to get better, can't eat 80% of the food that I want to eat, cant exercise without agitating my jaw. Not sure if I can trust my doctors at this point. I want to get a second opinion cause I am afraid that just "sitting and waiting" might be making things worse, but getting a root canal might also make things worse.

yeetonmeat

Re: Had SARPE with horrible recovery process

#2 Post by yeetonmeat »

Hi im new here could you tell me what SARPE is and what it does?

hkusptac

Re: Had SARPE with horrible recovery process

#3 Post by hkusptac »

wow its interesting how different orthodontists do things differently. I am supposed to have a SARPE surgery but have already been wearing braces for 6 months in which the plan is to have the surgery at the 9-12 month mark of wearing braces. :shock: