Question about genioplasty

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wgenzo

Question about genioplasty

#1 Post by wgenzo »

Hello everyone,
I have a slightly recessed chin but my bite is correct. I had 4 consultations with different surgeons, and while three of them offered me to do a classic sliding genioplasty with 4/5mm advancement, one of them showed me the plan in the pictured below.
Apparently this is called "balcony genioplasty", is supposed to have a better aesthetic result on the mentolabial fold and improve the lower lip incompetence that I have. He also mentioned that he would reposition the mentalis muscle in a different position to avoid chin stiffness and potential chin bumps/dents. The advancement should be around 7mm, he didn't mention if a grafting will be needed but I will ask.
The 3d simulation looked great and much better than a classic 5mm horizontal cut, but I'm having second thoughts and wanted to check here if anyone have had ever seen this kind of cut, as well as if you think there could be higher risks of complications.

https://i.imgur.com/2jeGBqB.png

snapdresser

Re: Question about genioplasty

#2 Post by snapdresser »

I’m not familiar with the balcony genioplasty. Have you looked up studies that show how they compare?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018