Many questions after orthgnathic surgery (elastics, swelling, pain)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sephiro499

Many questions after orthgnathic surgery (elastics, swelling, pain)

#1 Post by sephiro499 »

So I'm 4 weeks post op from a le forte 1, BSSO, genioplasty, septoplasty from a large academic medical center in the mid Atlantic of the US. It's confusing because there are so many Drs you meet and interact with that it's hard to know who knows what (if that makes sense). I had my 1 week post op visit and the Dr said to put the elastics 'on the canines'. But he didn't show me what that meant and I was unable to open my mouth enough to take a picture with my phone. When he went to take my elastics off and move my lips, that was 9 out of 10 pain.

I had a 3 week post op scheduled but I wasn't able to make it, because of post op sx's. I'm so tired and weak I can't even clean my apartment. What complicates matters is that the surgeon is 65 miles away. I'm going to a local pcp tomorrow in hopes to get some relief. I've read online 80-90% of the swelling should be gone within 10-14 days so my money is on a hospital acquired infection. I also had trouble swallowing post op along with severe pain, for which I was eventually admitted to the local hospital after bouncing back from an ER visit. 48hrs after being discharged from the hospital where I had the operation. My surgery was on July 6th 2021. The septoplasty was revised the morning of July 7th under local (problem w extubation).

So I googled what teeth were canine teeth but the bottom canine has a double hook on each side, the top does not. The double hook on the top is not on the canine -unless I'm misunderstanding which teeth are canine. It's very hard to communicate with the office because even though my surgery was July 6th I still have problems talking and have terrible pain (can't even touch my chin with a qtip) and swelling. There is an online portal but the clinicians only use it to send you information, they won't respond to messages.

sephiro499

Re: Many questions after orthgnathic surgery (elastics, swelling, pain)

#2 Post by sephiro499 »

Well it turns out I have an infection. I guess it was indistinguishable from the post op swelling, though my white count was elevated post op (checked twice actually). So I'm on clindamycin and the swelling is improving. My hope is that by next week I'll be well enough to figure out my post op follow up appointments.

SpeakingUpJ

Re: Many questions after orthgnathic surgery (elastics, swelling, pain)

#3 Post by SpeakingUpJ »

Hi,

my little sister also had orthognathic surgery back in July 2021…and unfortunately things couldn’t be worse for her. The surgery was a disaster

I just had a question, has your situation gotten better? And how is your bite functioning now?