Should I do surgery if I have no problems with my bite?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nodice

Should I do surgery if I have no problems with my bite?

#1 Post by nodice »

Here's a hypothetical -
Lets say you've always had an overbite (10mm now). You're in your twenties, and it doesn't really cause any functional issues. No problems sleeping, no chewing difficulties, no breathing problems, no joint pain. You're happy enough with how you look, and the overbite doesn't really give you much grief. You're given the option - free surgery that can go ahead immediately without years of braces treatment, OR do nothing about it.

This is the situation I'm in. I've had braces for years now, I've had 4 teeth removed, and my teeth are perfectly ready for surgery. I made the decision to do surgery years ago due to being insecure about how I looked, but now years later I don't mind how I look, and I can't seem to see how the risks and complications of surgery are less than any future problems I might have. If I don't do the surgery, I may have problems later in life, but I can always deal with them as they come. I've read many stories about how complications of surgery can last for years afterwards. Is that really worth it?

I'd love to hear about people who didn't get treatment and have had to deal with issues due to their overbite later in life. I can't find too many stories of this online really :/

snapdresser

Re: Should I do surgery if I have no problems with my bite?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

There aren’t many people on this forum who decided not to go forward with the surgery. For the most part they just drop off the forum quietly or they make 1 final post saying they decided not to do it. They don’t stick around to discuss it afterwards.

Regarding your choice, only you can decide it. I had a perfect bite and went forward with my surgery. Cosmetically the outcome was fantastic and I’m very happy with my decision.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

tothemax

#3 Post by tothemax »

snapdresser wrote:
> There aren’t many people on this forum who decided not to go forward with
> the surgery. For the most part they just drop off the forum quietly or they
> make 1 final post saying they decided not to do it. They don’t stick around
> to discuss it afterwards.
>
> Regarding your choice, only you can decide it. I had a perfect bite and
> went forward with my surgery. Cosmetically the outcome was fantastic and
> I’m very happy with my decision.

Do you have a post about your journey you could link me to? I am interested in how you managed to get a Lefort without braces.

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

Unfortunately I’m not one of those who LiveJournaled my whole experience. Regarding how they do a LeFort I without braces: archbars. they put them on during the surgery and they come off some 2-3 months afterwards. You should be able to Google what they look like. They have hooks for strong elastics on them. My surgeon kept me locked down with strong elastics for like 8 weeks, hence the brutal liquid diet regimen :FeelSick: The only downside of archbars for me was that one of the wires wasn’t properly wrapped around one of my front teeth and it loosened that tooth and made it come down about 3mm in just a couple days. I was freaking out but my surgeon retied it and it went back pretty much to where it was, give or take a half millimeter. I’m still not thrilled about that half millimeter :? Your mileage will vary.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Ciao78

#5 Post by Ciao78 »

Hi yours is a very interesting question.
In the end what did you decide to do?
I too find myself in the same situation as you defined borderline

Roseisrose

#6 Post by Roseisrose »

Hi,
I am in the very same situation.

Can I (class 2, division 1 and 2) eventually not do the surgery that had been planned (bsso) and remain with retainers for a long time/lifetime in the presurgical teeth position?

The bite is not functional and the gap is about 6-8 mm. The upper teeth have been retracted to prepare for surgery.

What are the risks (tmj, teeth position, etc.) ?

I know that my tmj are worn out.

The results of bsso on me would be dreadful (buse the upper teeth have been retracted) and surgeons say think that djs is not a good idea.

I want to stop this journey but am worried about aesthetic (teeth back to anterior position) and functional issues (bite, speaking,eating).

Lizzybae

#7 Post by Lizzybae »

Hello, if you can only do your lower jaw then I would recommend.

I had double jaw surgery in Dec, 2021. I am currently 34 weeks post op and am speaking to a new OS for revision because my original OS misdiagnosed and positioned my top jaw back when it was not medically necessary, misaligned my midline and didn’t move my lower jaw forward enough.

Now I need revision to basically position my top jaw where it originally was, align my midline to the center of my face as it originally was and move further forward my lower jaw.

I have seen two different surgeons and they both told me that there was no need for top jaw surgery only bottom jaw was necessary.

For reference I had a class II bite. At the end only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

10qwert23

#8 Post by 10qwert23 »

I have a class II overbite and was considering surgery as well. I spoke to 2 surgeons who focus on functional surgeries who recommened for me just to do lower jaw surgery and genioplasty. I believe the plan is to remove 2 teeth in the lower jaw, pull the rest of the teeth back (increasing the gap) and the pull the whole jaw forward. I am not sure if aesthetically with DJS a nicer looking result can be achieved but atleast the recovery will be easier and chances of complications will be lower. It seem however the largest risk is lost of sensation in the lower lip in any case.