Back pain/body posture and jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Michael321

Back pain/body posture and jaw surgery

#1 Post by Michael321 »

First time poster.

Hi!
I want to check here if anyone have had improvements or changes with back pain or body posture after jaw surgery? I have had improvements after mine, but i dont understand why i have not heard about this connection before. Also if you did notice a difference, what could it be in the stomagnatic system that causes problems in other parts of the body? I dont understand this.

Thanks in advance.

Nozzelnut

Re: Back pain/body posture and jaw surgery

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

There could be improvements in the forward head carry position due to mouth breathing; and no longer needing to do that as much which could help other back issues.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

aasiyah1422

#3 Post by aasiyah1422 »

In my own experience, when the jaws are too small thus causing a small airway, it's a chain effect- my shoulders started to slump, lead to kyphosis, which led to pelvic tilt issues, and after jaw surgery there is no need to carry your head forward + up to breathe. Of course posture work still needs to be done as surgery doesn't just fix the spine by itself. IN my case posture work seems to be futile unless the airway is correct first, and I haven't undergone surgery yet. No amount of physical therapy for me was helping in getting my head to stop craning forward.

In general, fixing a small airway is a big priority, and from what I've read about posture, you should work from the feet up and pelvis to then be able to address the upper body kyphosis. If you try to tackle rounded shoulders and kyphosis without addressing a pelvic issue, you won't see much results as the body is a chain network of sorts.

EldonBrown

#4 Post by EldonBrown »

Yes one of my friends had the same experience after the surgery.