Reversing Extractions and Getting Jaw Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dutchchocolate

Reversing Extractions and Getting Jaw Surgery

#1 Post by dutchchocolate »

Hi, I'm 26 years old and reside in a remote part of Queensland, Australia.

I have recently gotten my two upper premolars removed for retractive orthodontic treatment for my 9mm overbite/overjet and crowding. The spaces haven't closed because I only got the teeth taken out 2 weeks ago.

When I first saw my orthodontist I told him I wanted to avoid any extractions.
After reviewing my measurements, the orthodontist said I was a prime candidate for double jaw surgery because of my overjet/overbite and my receding chin. I said I was happy to have surgery as it would help alleviate my issues with mouth breathing, jaw pain, sleep apnea and migraines, but he talked me into a camouflage treatment (4 first premolars removed) instead. After having the top premolars removed I started panicking as my profile already looks dished in and jowly.

I became acutely suicidal and started having panic attacks because of my regret that I got these teeth out, I want the surgery and get dental implants.

I am due to have the spacers put in tomorrow and the top braces put on the following week, but I am planning to cancel the appointment as I would have to sign the $9800 contract and pay a $1000 deposit before any treatment. I have already spent roughly $2500 on consultations with my ortho, periodontal check up at the ortho's request and 2 out of 4 premolar extractions. But I am willing to spend money on braces, surgery and implants for the sake of my appearance and health. So I am going to call some functional orthodonists 3 hours away in Brisbane to get more opinions on what I can do to help myself. I am definitely not getting the other 2 teeth taken out in the mean time.

I am so upset with myself for not advocating better for myself and being talked into the camouflage treatment instead when the ortho said I am a "prime candidate for surgery" but that he could "fix it" with extractions instead.

Has anyone gone through something similar and had reversals of extractions (mine wouldn't be reversals, but similar where the spots are left open instead of opened up) and gotten the jaw surgery?

aasiyah1422

Re: Reversing Extractions and Getting Jaw Surgery

#2 Post by aasiyah1422 »

I had no extractions, but all of my lower teeth were pushed out of arch and now I have receding gums and my roots are showing, including TMD problems. Upper jaw was retracted for a 5mm overbite. I'm in the same place as you, but my orthodontist completely sweet-talks me and refuses that everything is wrong. I would definitely hope to place implants or something in those places. If the spaces close, you can lose jaw bone and your face will start to sag.

I'm really upset too and have really spent the last three months being a sobbing mess and crying my eyeballs out, as I feel like nobody is listening to me and I just feel stupid. I'm so glad you've advocated for yourself now too. I tried to, but my ortho was intimidating and I was just teary-eyed the whole time and couldn't speak. I also want to reverse the retraction and get double jaw surgery (only half my teeth show when I smile because they were pushed back 3mm or so), as I already had a very small lower jaw and airway before. Problem is, I've naturally had a flat face before braces, and retractions sunk my face even more, so now I've got tear troughs and smile lines at age 19. I'm in the process of getting a consultation for surgery too.

If you check reddit, there are many people in the same place as you who got jaw surgery, there's a lot of helpful posts there. Please don't let the spaces close, you should definitely have teeth there. I have narrow arches and crowding as well, I would like to look into SARPE and MSDO once my teeth relapse (that'll probably take a year). It's all really scary but I want to advocate for my own health. Hoping to get MRI's of my joints and CT scans to show what he did to me, so then I have proof that I can get a full refund. Good luck. <3

dutchchocolate

Re: Reversing Extractions and Getting Jaw Surgery

#3 Post by dutchchocolate »

Thank you so much for your response!

Yes, I am definitely not going to allow the spaces to close, I will be contacting a new "functional" orthodontist ASAP to get a second opinion and hopefully they can keep the spaces open with braces and my jaw bone won't need a graft for the future implants to be implanted.

I'm in the same boat as you looks wise. I've also had my 4 wisdom teeth out a year ago and it has had effects on my profile/overall look. I'm also now very jowly and have deep lines from my nose to mouth and they haven't even started the retractions.

Please reach out to someone about your feelings and also your concerns about your teeth! I hope you can get a refund. I am not giving this orthodontist another cent.
I want you to get the treatment you need to be as functional and good looking as you can be. We're in this together! :D