Anyone had chin reduction?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sarah96

Anyone had chin reduction?

#1 Post by Sarah96 »

If you had a chin reduction along with your jaw surgery or alone, can you tell me about it? How much reduction had been done? Are you satisfied with results? Which method had been done? Are there any side effects? How is your skin/soft tissue pad after surgery? Did it affect your lips posture? Thanks in advance.

snapdresser

Re: Anyone had chin reduction?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

There appear to be significant and broadly understated psychological impacts of a chin reduction according to what I’ve read over the years on this forum. People with prominent chins for their whole life tend to be dissatisfied with a “normal” chin and generally think their doctor reduced it too much, even if their new chin is well within what other folks would consider “normal”. They think they now have a weak chin even when their family and friends tell them it looks good. That’s just something to be aware of that surgeons rarely seem to warn folks about. Maybe discuss it with them and have them reduce it from “very prominent” to “fairly prominent”? Note that I’m not a doctor and your mileage may vary.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018