Double jaw surgery for asymmetrical/canted jaw. How likely is skin sagging?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pockets

Double jaw surgery for asymmetrical/canted jaw. How likely is skin sagging?

#1 Post by pockets »

Hello,

I'm in my mid-20s and saw several orthodontists to discuss straightening my teeth. I was told that my jaw was too crooked to get a perfect result, and I need double jaw surgery to correct the asymmetry/my bite. My face will need to be shortened.

Has anyone experienced skin sagging after double jaw surgery? How many mm did your surgeon take off your face, and how old were you when you had the surgery?

I'm honestly terrified!

Sarah96

Re: Double jaw surgery for asymmetrical/canted jaw. How likely is skin sagging?

#2 Post by Sarah96 »

Hello. I had asymmetry as well. I didn't have any skin sagging after surgery. Will they also shave your jaws? I've heard that it might cause skin sagging.

snapdresser

Re: Double jaw surgery for asymmetrical/canted jaw. How likely is skin sagging?

#3 Post by snapdresser »

My face was shortened a few mm and it made a huge difference. Be weary of them shortening your face as it reduces tooth show and can make you look significantly older. Mine was shortened a couple mm too much and I’m not super thrilled about it, but some folks on here were shortened even more and some of them refuse to go outdoors because they’re so unhappy with the way they look. A down-graft after the fact is rarely recommended so they’re basically stuck with it. I would highly encourage you to ask your doc about the exact mm they’ll be moving your maxilla. Most patients only find out those movements after the fact. A good surgeon will take into consideration your concern about adequate tooth show and may impact your maxilla less than they would have otherwise to assuage your concerns.

Regarding skin sagging, I was 30 and didn’t experience it. Some folks get neck lipo at the same time but I haven’t heard of a neck lift at the same time. You can ask your surgeon a lot of questions about how the surgery will affect your soft tissues but it’s extremely hard to predict. I would say your best bet is to make sure they don’t over-impact your maxilla and then deal with any soft tissue concerns separately afterwards, but note that I’m not a doctor. Good luck!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018