Jaw Surgery - Cosmetic

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

riakola

Jaw Surgery - Cosmetic

#1 Post by riakola »

Hi, there,

Has anyone on here had jaw surgery for cosmetic reasons? I am wondering if having jaw surgery would make me look younger. I notice that when I was younger, the lower part of my face was smaller than it is now, and my nose and upper jaw did not protrude as much. Wondering if there is a surgery to put them back, as well as my lower jaw which has seemed to come forward too. Anyone have any experience with anything similar?

snapdresser

Re: Jaw Surgery - Cosmetic

#2 Post by snapdresser »

A lot of us got the surgery for primarily cosmetic reasons, though unless it’s covered by insurance for functional issues, it will likely run you $50-100k. Your bones likely haven’t moved too much. I suspect it’s more of an issue of soft tissues. It’s extremely hard to predict how orthognathic surgery will affect soft tissues, and I would strongly urge you to reconsider the risks and side-effects of orthognathic surgery as an approach to MAYBE address soft tissue issues. Perhaps a neck/face lift or rhinoplasty would be better suited. Soft tissues do tend to droop as you age and those are probably more reliable and suitable “fixes.”
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018