Regret about not getting genioplasty

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melere

Regret about not getting genioplasty

#1 Post by melere »

I'm day 5 post-op from double jaw surgery for a small lower jaw. I got a new surgeon in the two intervening years since my initial consult because the first retired. I met my new surgeon on the 4th and he had a different plan--no longer was my palate getting expanded, and he suggested I could get the genioplasty later if I wanted, but that more or less it would look more natural and he assured me it'd look great. After all, there's less chance of nerve damage. When I spoke to him, he was very personable, great sense of humour, not in any way arrogant or cold like a lot of doctors. He said he could do my chin if I wanted but it was always possible later, and I greatly appreciated that he cared about what I wanted. I took his advice.

Pretty much the only reason I got surgery was because I hated my weak chin so much (and I told them so). I had a gummy smile and some asymmetry but didn't really care so much about that. I was just so sick of looking like I did and didn't want to spend the rest of my life looking like that. I know there's no way really to tell how I will fully look this early on, but I can already tell I should've gotten my chin done and I'm feeling really upset. There's not a whole lot of difference and my nose still looks disproportionately large because the advancement and rotation just didn't bring it out enough to give me the change I wanted. I hated the way I looked then and I hate it now. My chin still dimples and I'd hoped my lips were finally competent, but now the swelling's down more it's the same incompetence as ever.

I don't like the prospect of getting a second surgery because I had reactions to every medication I was given and I didn't sleep for 4 days. Thankfully the nightmare has faded in memory and I think a second surgery is disappointing but would likely not be as hard given what I know now. However, I'm just not sure how to go about that here in Canada. Do I have to go to a plastic surgeon now rather than my jaw surgeon? How long will I have to wait before I can get my chin fixed? How much does it cost or in these circumstances, would it be covered?

snapdresser

Re: Regret about not getting genioplasty

#2 Post by snapdresser »

I don’t know about the cost, but you should talk about it with your surgeon. Don’t you have an appointment soon where you can say these things and get their feedback? If they have a good bedside manner, I think they’ll hear out your concerns. I think they recommend at least a few months before they put you under again, if not more. Good luck! I was in the same situation pre-op and the SG yielded great results for me. I hope it works out for you!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

melere

#3 Post by melere »

I have seen my surgeon since and he said he'd do it at no cost once my bones set, but was frankly unempathetic and told me to "stop being so bummed out." He said he had no regrets and didn't want my chin to be too strong. I was in the office crying because I saw my x-rays and there was really no difference in projection, you can see it and there's virtually no difference in my profile. Additionally, my chin is crooked, making it more odd that he's so adamant I didn't need it.

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

Go for it! Just be prepared for some decreased or altered sensation in your chin afterwards. That’s extremely common. Other people have reported permanent numbness in their lower lip which can make eating, kissing, etc. more difficult. I got “lucky” and just have decreased sensation in one area of my chin about the size of a quarter.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018