3 Months Post Op-Have Many Questions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

britkitt09

3 Months Post Op-Have Many Questions

#1 Post by britkitt09 »

So, I had jaw surgery Jan 28th. So I am almost 3 months post op! However, other than swelling and some numbness still everything else seems fine. I have no pain or anything. My question is how long does swelling take to truly go away? It's been almost 3 months. Is there anything I can do to aide in the swelling going down. Like I still place ice on my face here and there. Not sure if that will help. Also, the numbing I have is more like how your face feels after you have been injected with lidocaine or something that heavy/fat feeling. I can feel myself touching my face but it still has that heavy feeling but its only in one particular area. Any things I can do to help aide in the numbing going away quicker. Any suggestions would be great.

Carno

Re: 3 Months Post Op-Have Many Questions

#2 Post by Carno »

What type of surgery did you have? I only had a Lefort 1 maxillary osteotomy, so I think mine must have been less complex than yours.

britkitt09

#3 Post by britkitt09 »

Yes, I had a Lefort 1 2 piece and on the mandibular a subapical osteotomy. Did you have your surgery three months ago as well? Do you still have swelling and or numbness?

britkitt09

#4 Post by britkitt09 »

Carno wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:31 pm What type of surgery did you have? I only had a Lefort 1 maxillary osteotomy, so I think mine must have been less complex than yours.
Yes, I had a Lefort 1 2 piece and on the mandibular a subapical osteotomy. Did you have your surgery three months ago as well? Do you still have swelling and or numbness?

Carno

#5 Post by Carno »

britkitt09 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 pmYes, I had a Lefort 1 2 piece and on the mandibular a subapical osteotomy. Did you have your surgery three months ago as well? Do you still have swelling and or numbness?
Sounds like you had a more complex procedure done than me, although I had the Lefort as part of SARPE. I had my surgery on March 16th (3 and a half weeks ago), but my swelling has mostly gone away. There's still a small amount left, but not noticeable to anyone but me. I have full feeling in my lips and it's returning to my gums, but I still can't really feel my upper teeth, although it has been improving. It does still hurt to eat firm foods though.

I didn't really ice after the first 2 days, but I took ibuprofen for the first couple weeks. Nothing now. Maybe massaging the numb areas will help promote circulation?

britkitt09

#6 Post by britkitt09 »

Carno wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm
britkitt09 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 pmYes, I had a Lefort 1 2 piece and on the mandibular a subapical osteotomy. Did you have your surgery three months ago as well? Do you still have swelling and or numbness?
Sounds like you had a more complex procedure done than me, although I had the Lefort as part of SARPE. I had my surgery on March 16th (3 and a half weeks ago), but my swelling has mostly gone away. There's still a small amount left, but not noticeable to anyone but me. I have full feeling in my lips and it's returning to my gums, but I still can't really feel my upper teeth, although it has been improving. It does still hurt to eat firm foods though.

I didn't really ice after the first 2 days, but I took ibuprofen for the first couple weeks. Nothing now. Maybe massaging the numb areas will help promote circulation?
Think my swelling is more noticeable to me. Other people haven't really said much abut it. I literally have feeling in all areas of my face, but the lower left side of my lip and chin are still kind of have that fat feeling. I do believe that because I had a more complex procedure that my swelling and numbness may take a little more time than others. I have a follow up appointment this upcoming week. So, I am going to ask my surgeon about things.