Midline off post jaw surgery. Is that normal?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

britkitt09

Midline off post jaw surgery. Is that normal?

#1 Post by britkitt09 »

So, I just got my splint and unwired today. So happy about that and I am 4 weeks post op! My only concern and its not really a big concern is that my upper midline is off and I have a slight open bite posteriorly on the left. Its more deviated to the left the midline that is. My surgeon said that everything else will be corrected with my orthodontist. The oral surgeon did not even seem to be concerned. He was very thrilled how my bite turned out because my case was very complicated, but things turned out good surgery wise. However, anyone else who has gone through jaw surgery will the midline and open bite truly be fixed with the rest of my orthodontic treatment? Look forward to hearing other peoples answers. Other

snapdresser

Re: Midline off post jaw surgery. Is that normal?

#2 Post by snapdresser »

I hate to say it, but several people on here have reported that their midline was off post-op and orthodontics didn’t fix it. Similarly, a bite that is open on one side was never completely fixed. It sounds like poor surgical planning to me, but perhaps that’s the best they could do with your complex case. Did they use VSP?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

britkitt09

#3 Post by britkitt09 »

Yes, they did do medical mapping. I went to my orthodontist and he seemed to be very pleased with the outcome of surgery and said all my concerns were things that can easily be corrected with the rest of my ortho treatment. So, I feel confident to know that this is something that can be fixed.

britkitt09

#4 Post by britkitt09 »

Yes, they did do medical mapping. I went to my orthodontist and he seemed to be very pleased with the outcome of surgery and said all my concerns were things that can easily be corrected with the rest of my ortho treatment. So, I feel confident to know that this is something that can be fixed.

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

That’s good news! Good luck!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018