Smoked after jaw surgery what to do?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

Smoked after jaw surgery what to do?

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

So I am about 6-7 weeks into recover, and I am not a smoker but if someone offers at social events I will accept. I smoked 2-3 cigarettes yesterday, and at the time I wasn’t thinking that it might affect the healing process. I did some research and apparently smoking can slow down the healing process. Is there anything I can do to prevent the bone from healing correctly, and everything else healing correctly because I smoked?

britkitt09

Re: Smoked after jaw surgery what to do?

#2 Post by britkitt09 »

Smoking definitely does slow down the healing process. I would probably just not smoke again until you are able to talk to your surgeon again and get their opinion.

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

As with all things: Moderation.

I doubt the two or three smokes you had will interfere with the healing process one iota.
-Andy

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

I think you’ll be ok. It takes a long time to recover from this surgery anyways, so I doubt you’ll notice any difference as long as you don’t make a habit of smoking during recovery.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Carno

#5 Post by Carno »

Smoking affects things at the cellular level, so it takes time for it to become a factor in healing. I'd start declining those invitations to smoke, but those two or three cigarettes won't be an issue.