Jaw surgery regret

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bokang

Jaw surgery regret

#1 Post by Bokang »

Hi everyone.
I have recently(approx 7 weeks) gotten jaw surgery. I had a slight underbite but had no functional issues whatsoever, I now however find myself in a world of regret. I look at myself and see someone very ugly, I just rationalise that having this surgery was the correct thing. I spoke to my surgeon about a revision but he flat out refused and became so defensive to the point where I was even scared to ask anything else. I guess my question is has anyone felt the way I did, not being pleased with the aesthetic outcome and if so have u had a revision surgery where your jaw/s were placed back to their original position?

Kristen

Re: Jaw surgery regret

#2 Post by Kristen »

I am not completely pleased with the aesthetic outcome of my surgery. But at 12 weeks I know I still have a lot more ways to go, so I still feel hope that my looks will continue to change and I will look more like my old self. Like yours, mine was a minor class 3 issue, and I didn’t expect such a drastic change. However, my husband tells me I look better. I don’t think so, but I think I’m just seeing the swelling. My face is alot more puffy, and I hate it. However on some days, the swelling isn’t that bad and I look like myself. Just hang in there, give it a few more months to a year, and if you still don’t like the outcome, maybe seek a second opinion from a different surgeon. At 7 weeks there still a lot of swelling to go, even if you think it’s gone.

britkitt09

#3 Post by britkitt09 »

I am just curious what is it that you all don't like post surgery? That is a fear of mine. Is it just more so you all might still be swollen and can't truly see what your face looks like or do you look like a completely different person?

Bokang

#4 Post by Bokang »

[quote=britkitt09 post_id=508328 time=1579875982 user_id=33009]
I am just curious what is it that you all don't like post surgery? That is a fear of mine. Is it just more so you all might still be swollen and can't truly see what your face looks like or do you look like a completely different person?
[/quote]

So I had a very defined jawline and masculine sculpted face which has sort of been my trademark if u know what I mean, I was considered very handsome. Now that a part of my bone was removed I have a very round face, chubby cheeks and my nose has gotten wider, oh my top lip looks like I was bitten by something as well. So long story short I’ve literally had a complete change in facial appearance, I know this sounds very shallow but honestly you can’t tell me that feeling attractive is a bad thing, I miss feeling good about myself, my self-esteem has plummeted greatly.

britkitt09

#5 Post by britkitt09 »

Ooo, wow, well I am sorry to hear that. I hope that over time things change. Maybe it's just due to the swelling still needing to go down more. They say it takes a little time.

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

At 7 weeks you still have a lot of swelling. It may not seem like it, but you do, it’s just hard to tell. I think in time when the swelling is completely gone (9-12 months) you’ll be happier with the appearance of your nose, cheeks, and upper lip. That said, I’ve noticed that people on here who have their mandible moved back almost always seem upset with the chin/jaw aesthetics afterwards. I think it’s common enough and creates a big enough self-perception problem that surgeons should be discussing that aspect seriously with any potential candidates for the surgery. The extra-strong chin is not normal, and it’s gone or greatly reduced afterwards, and patients aren’t prepared for that (who could be?). Everyone perceives their face as normal whether it is or isn’t, and it’s very jarring when they look in the mirror and see that face has changed. It seems to affect the “strong chin going in” crowd far worse than the “weak chin going in” crowd however, and I think that warrants an extra warning from surgeons about the mental challenge the patient will be in for coming to grips with their new appearance. That said, you’ve already had the surgery and I think you’d have a very hard time finding someone to reverse it. I think a therapist or a great friend/loved one reminding you that you look good may be a good approach moving forward.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018